Firebacks

In the Welsh National History Museum museum group

15 results

  1. 237

    cardiff,_st fagans 14.jpg
    722 x 725 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre, between two fleurs de lys; initial below each fleur, with a fleur below each initial.

    Notes: A damaged variant, probably with six fleurs, no initials, dated 1694, is also known. Formerly at Great House, Llanllowell, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1692 / T B

    Manufactured: in 1692 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: St Fagans Castle, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 42.82 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 238

    cardiff,_st fagans 15.jpg
    612 x 830 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; crowned figure, holding a sceptre in his right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two, caparisoned horses with ostrich feather head-dresses; the whole upon a three-arched bridge with keystones and a string course, waves beneath; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical, descending oak leaf and acorn branches, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils and berries. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a series produced in the same year. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from a personification of Europe, one of a set of playing cards entitled Jeu de la Géographie, designed by Stefano della Bella for Louis XIV.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F81.233 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 239

    cardiff,_st fagans 16.jpg
    >700 x >400 mm

    Description: Arched rectangle with stepped, canted shoulders; fillet and astragal edging (top and sides only); initials above date at top of plate.

    Notes: The shape and edging are uncommon. Formerly from Caerphilly, Glamorgan.

    Inscription: D H / 1746

    Manufactured: in 1746 in Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 44.303/1 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  4. 240

    cardiff,_st fagans 17.jpg
    562 x 803 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; ground with birds, and trees behind; in the centre a circular fountain rim with a swan on a plinth surrounded by water, with jets of water rising from the swan’s mouth and descending on either side; above, a heron and a goose fly to the left; under the arch, swags of drapery; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a scallop shell, top centre, with a looed 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base between date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks, all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from an illustration in Labyrinthe de Versailles by Charles Perrault (1677); the flying heron is copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F83.116 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  5. 1070

    cardiff,_st fagans 18.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; two fleurs-de-lys arranged vertically top left and top right; top centre, date; below date, initials WEI in triad.

    Notes: Said to have been made by George White, iron founder, of Monmouth. Formerly from Newport, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1668 / W E I [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1668 possibly at Tintern furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 25.21 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Kissack, K., 2003, Monmouth and its Buildings (Almeley, Logaston Press).