Firebacks

Shape: cavetto-canted arched rectangular

16 results

  1. 16

    battle_museum.jpg
    900 x 720 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape cut away with symmetrical concave curves; ovolo moulding (top and sides); shield, helmet, crest and mantling of the family of Baker, of Mayfield, quartered with Farnden, of Sedlescombe: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Argent, a tower between three keys erect sable (Baker); 2nd and 3rd, Purpure, a chevron vairy Or and gules, between three leopardsí faces Or (Farnden). Crest (Baker): on a tower sable an arm embowed in mail holding in the hand a flint-stone proper.

    Notes: A carved armorial on a plain, edged base board; John Baker (1644-1723) married Ruth, daughter and co-heiress of Peter Farnden, in 1663; she died in 1691, thereafter the arms of Baker quartered those of Farnden; the arms of Farnden had been granted in 1634. The armorial design has been inadequately pressed into the sand bed.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Baker, of Mayfield, quartering Farnden, of Sedlescombe

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century possibly at Heathfield furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Battle Museum of Local History, Battle, East Sussex, England.

  2. 878

    birling,_5 birling park.jpg
    804 x 765 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted arched rectangle; twisted rope edging, separately around rectangle and arch; initials 'R' and 'H' in upper left and right corners of rectangle; 'M' above date in arch.

    Notes: The arch does not appear to have been a separate stamp, although the rope edging gives that impression; the initials, in triad, suggest a husband and wife - R.. and H.. M..

    Inscription: M / 1654 / / R H

    Manufactured: in 1654 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Birling, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

  3. 913

    brightling_park.jpg
    890 x >640 mm

    Description: Rectangular with an arched rectangular style arch linked by symmetrical concave curves; ovolo moulding (top and sides); shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Fuller family. A number 7, the only visible part of the date seen on other castings is in the top right corner of the shield.

    Notes: A carved armorial on a plain, edged base board; the arms of the Fullers of Brightling Park, Sussex: Argent, three bars and a canton gules; the crest; Out of a ducal coronet Or, a lionís head argent; the Fullers were iron masters and gun founders in the first half of the 18th century, operating Heathfield furnace, where it is likely that this fireback was cast.

    Inscription: [1] 7 / [4] [7]

    Arms: Fuller, of Brightling, Sussex

    Manufactured: in 1747 probably at Heathfield furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Brightling, East Sussex, England.

  4. 1132

    gallops,_crickhowell  600x600.jpg
    600 x 600 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted arched rectangular shape; rebated wide fillet edging; shield of Llewellyn impaling unidentified arms: (Llewellyn) Per fesse embattled, azure and or, a javelin erect, between two boars' heads erased in chief, and a like boar's head between two javelins in base, all counterchanged; below, scroll bearing the motto, Gwell angau na Chywilydd (Death before Dishonour), possibly inscribed after casting.

    Notes: The arms were granted to Robert William Llewellyn of Court Colman and Baglan Hall, Glamorgan, in 1902.

    Inscription: Gwell angau na Chywilydd

    Arms: Llewellyn, of Court Colman, Glamorgan

    Manufactured: in the early 20th century in Wales.

    Current location: Gallops Architectural, Ty-r-Ash, Brecon Road, Crickhowell, Powys, Wales.

  5. 143

    hastings_026.jpg
    660 x 610 mm

    Description: Central panel of arched rectangular shape with cavetto canted corners and bead edging; crowned female figure holding a sceptre in her right hand, seated in a chariot drawn by two caparisoned ponies, a cornucopia at their feet; below, sloping ground with plants, clouds with rain above; identically shaped border with fillet edging and symmetrical swags of flowers and drapery suspended from ribbons; at the base two symmetrical palm fronds tied with a ribbon.

    Notes: The figure may represent Ceres, goddess of plenty. The fireback is one of a series designed and made in England, copying the prevailing 'Dutch' style. Its style echoes that of a fireback pattern preserved at Rottingdean Grange, Sussex

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.63 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 926

    hatfield_house 01 pattern.jpg
    1145 x 975 mm

    Description: Carved wooden fireback pattern. Cavetto-canted rectangle with arch; ovolo-moulded edging; shield, garter, helm, mantling, crest, motto and supporters of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley, KG (1520-98). Date below garter.

    Notes: William Cecil was Queen Elizabeth I's first minister. Several firebacks cast using this fine carved, wooden painted panel are known.

    Inscription: HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / COR VNVM [ET] VIA VNA / 15 75

    Arms: William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, KG

    Manufactured: in 1575 in England.

    Current location: Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2017, 'Church Armorials and Firebacks: Evidence of an Early 17th-Century Woodcarver', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 135, pp. 213-223.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 188

    hatfield_house 01.jpg
    1147 x 1013 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted rectangle with arch; ovolo-moulded edging; shield, garter, helm, mantling, crest and supporters of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley, KG (1520-98). Date below garter.

    Notes: William Cecil was Queen Elizabeth I's first minister. The wooden pattern for this fireback, itself a fine carved, wooden painted panel, is at Hatfield House, Hertfordshire.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE 15 75

    Arms: William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley KG

    Manufactured: in 1575 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 346

    ightham_mote 05.jpg
    910 x 892 mm

    Description: Rectangular with arched rectangular shaped top joined by cavetto curves; astragal edging; shield, supporters, ducal coronet, motto and garter of the Duke of Dorset: Quarterly, Or and gules, a bend vair.

    Notes: Almost certainly the arms of Lionel Sackville KG (1688-1765), created first duke of Dorset in 1720.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [around shield] HONY SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / [on motto scroll] AUT NUNQUAM TENTES, AUT PERFICE

    Arms: Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Ightham Mote, Ightham, Kent, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  9. 396

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 030.jpg
    700 x 660 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted rectangle with arched top; astragal and cavetto edging (top and sides); pictorial; back-to-back figures of a bearded man and a woman in a poke bonnet, both dressed in tunics, their arms raised, respectively left and right; they are chained to a vertical pole; below, flames issue from vertically stacked logs, while smoke rises above them; the physical proportions of the figures are naÔve, the manís eyes being over-large, as are the hands of both.

    Notes: The design is a free adaptation of an illustration from The Book of Martyrs by John Foxe (1563), a recasting of a back originally noted at Brick Cottage, Burwash, Sussex, in 1871. This may be the design of fireback referred to in an enquiry printed in the St James's Chronicle, or British Evening Post, of 9 August 1788, which described it as 'having two Bishops burning at Stakes thereon' at a house in Warwickshire. At an auction sale in 2017 the same design of fireback was interpreted as the burning of Bishops Latimer and Ridley in 1555. Protestants were burnt to death at several Wealden locations as well as elsewhere in the south-east of England during the reign of Mary I, notably at Canterbury and Lewes. The subject of the fireback should regarded as symbolic rather than commemorating any individual martyrs.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.903 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Paine, C., Aug 2013, 'Mystery of the Two Martyrs', Sussex Past and Present, 130, 6-7.

    Citation: Straker, E., 1931, Wealden Iron (London, Bell)

  10. 428

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 064.jpg
    1085 x 1255 mm

    Description: Rectangular, with low curved top and stepped concave corners; suspended floral-chain border on top and sides; alternate small and large rings along the bottom; plain panel at base. Arms of Webster, baronet, of Battle: Azure, on a bend argent, cotised Or, between two demi-lions ermine, a rose gules, barbed and seeded proper, between two boarsí heads couped sable.

    Notes: Sir Thomas Webster was created baronet in 1703; he was succeeded by his son, Whistler, in 1750. A pair of matching, cast-iron side plates form a set with this fireback.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Webster of Battle

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century possibly at Robertsbridge furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Barbican House, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 39.52/LH000.986 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).