Firebacks

Shape: triple-arched rectangular

  1. 888

    cowden,_crippenden 01.jpg
    660 x 675 mm

    Description: Triple arched rectangular shape, centre arch higher; each arch supported by pilasters; within centre arch, cloaked, bearded male figure wearing a crown and carrying a ewer and what appear to be a pile of plates; in left arch, above first half of date, a clothed female figure carrying a goblet and possibly a candle on a staff; in the right arch, above the second half of the date, a clothed female figure holding a distaff and a length of wool; there is a narrow panel at the bottom; on the outside of the arches are scroll-shaped protusions.

    Notes: The shape of this fireback is relatively uncommon, and the significance of the figures may relate to a particular narrative.

    Inscription: 16 28

    Manufactured: in 1628 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: in private hands, Cowden, Kent, England.

  2. 427

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 062.jpg
    390 x 570 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three sem-circular arches on top, the middle arch higher and wider than the others; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); top centre, equestrian figure stamp; six small stamps of iconic figures down the side,s arranged in two columns.

    Notes: An unusual fireback with stamps about 90mm high; the stamps are likely to have been cast from brass or iron mantelpiece ornaments, popular in the Victorian period.

    Manufactured: in the 19th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.089 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  3. 529

    pet-m-83.jpg
    591 x 770 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three arches, the middle one larger than the outer two; cavetto-moulded edging; bottom panel, pictorial scene of Jesus and the woman of Samaria at the well (John 4), with other figures, buildings etc. in the background, illegible text below; centre arch, shield, helm, crest and mantling of unidentified arms, the initials 'GP' in bottom corners; left arch, probable figure of a saint; right arch, probable figure of a soldier.

    Notes: The combination of a biblical scene (John 4) with a coat of arms.

    Inscription: 16 30 / G P

    Manufactured: in 1630 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/83 (part of the National Trust museum group)