1177? x ? mmImage subject to copyright
Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, inscription 'C1630C'.
Notes: In the inscription, the letter 'C' may have been formed from a horseshoe. The fireback was discovered in 1959 at the works of Samuel Lewis & Co. Ltd. at Netherton, Worcestershire. It has been suggested that it was probably made by Walter Chetwynd, tenant of the ironworks at Cannockwood in Staffordshire who is mentioned as such in accounts of 1636 and 1637 made by Roger Jones received for William, Lord Paget of Beaudesert, the owner of the works.
- Attached to series:
- Date & initials firebacks