Firebacks

  1. 128

    hastings_018.jpg
    597 x 463 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides), with dowel across the top corners; symmetrical arrangement of four crowned four-petal roses, top centre, bottom centre and both top corners; symmetrical arrangement of four fleurs de lys, two either side of top central rose, two in bottom corners.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing heraldic stamps. Given to Hastings Museum by Mr A. E. Anderson of Brightling Hall, Robertsbridge, Sussex.

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 914.64.1 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Browne, P. J., 27 Jul 1967, 'Sussex Firebacks ... History of an Early Application of Cast Iron', Foundry Trade Journal, 109-111.

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 16 Feb 1935, 'A Tudor Fireback', Hastings and St Leonards Observer.

    Citation: Manwaring Baines, J., 1958, Wealden Firebacks (Hastings Museum)