Description: Rectangular; cyma curve and fillet edging; crowned Tudor rose within a pediment resting on Tuscan pilasters and pedestals; faint impression of a shield bearing a lion rampant repeated in each top corner.
Notes: The width of this fireback may indicate that another fireback in this series was used as its pattern and the shields added before casting.
Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: LH000.954 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)
Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; raised central rectangular panel with inset stylised design of a rounded arch upon Ionic columns, the inside edge indented; at quarter angles outside the arch, two trefoils; within the arch, sequence of linked hollow strapwork rhomboids and circles; between the columns, a roundel with the internal edge indented; left of the central panel, 16 above upper-case M in low relief; right of the central panel, 56 above upper-case G in low relief.
Notes: An unusually small but well-preserved back with a stylised design. The style of the numerals, particularly the 6 and 5, can be seen on a larger fireback of 1653.
Inscription: 16 56 / M G
Current location: Avery Way, Tamar View Industrial Estate, Saltash, Cornwall, England.