Firebacks

600mm wide

24 results

  1. 849

    ashurst,_peppers farm.jpg
    ~600 x ~435 mm

    Description: Rectangular with superimposed arch; embattled, cavetto moulded edging, with the top edge of the rectangle interrupted; shield, garter, crown, supporters and motto of the English Royal house of Stuart; rose and thistle plants above lion and unicorn supporters respectively; initials split by crown; date below garter.

    Notes: A version dated 1619 is proportioned slightly differently.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R / 16 21

    Arms: English Stuart royal - James I

    Manufactured: in 1621 in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Ashurst, West Sussex, England.

  2. 971

    bristol,_red lodge museum 01a.jpg
    600 x 520 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date between two 'rose' stamps.

    Notes: The four nuts are to secure the fireback to two legs.

    Inscription: 1658

    Manufactured: in 1658 in England.

    Current location: Red Lodge, Park Row, Bristol, England.

    Museum number: NX412 (part of the Bristol Museums, Galleries and Archives museum group)

  3. 31

    burwash,_wealden iron crafts.jpg
    >600 x 660 mm

    Description: Fragment; rectangular plate with series of parallelogrammatic billets arranged across the top; crossed billets in corners

    Manufactured: possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands Burwash, East Sussex, England.

  4. 917

    cambridge_folk museum.jpg
    600 x 760 mm

    Description: Rectangular with detached pediment joined by S-curves; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, helm, bird crest and mantling, with date, 1635, split either side of crest; bottom of casting missing due to corrosion.

    Notes: Tentatively identified as the arms of Brooke or Broke of Lapley, Staffordshire (blazon: chequy argent and sable), impaling a chevron between three estoiles; this fireback, or its pattern, have been used as a stamp on another fireback with a later date and initials added separately (see Fireback no. 831).

    Inscription: 16 35

    Arms: poss. Brooke of Lapley, Staffordshire

    Manufactured: in 1635 in England.

    Current location: Cambridge and County Folk Museum, 2/3 Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.

    (part of the Cambridge and County Folk Museum museum group)

  5. 232

    cardiff,_st fagans 09.jpg
    600 x 710 mm

    Description: Plain plate; central shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Lewis family: quarterly 1st, sable a lion rampant argent (Lewis of Y Fan), 2nd, sable a chevron between three fleurs de lys or (Einon ap Collwyn), 3rd gules three chevronels argent(Iestyn ap Gwrgan), 4th, sable a chevron between three spear heads argent embrued gules (Bleddyn ap Maenyrch); initials split by armorial stamp (E over-stamped); date, formed from single numerals, below arms.

    Notes: The arms are those of Sir Edward Lewis, of Van, who purchased St Fagans Castle in 1616. The same armorial stamp was used to model the arms on a lead cistern outside the front door of the castle. It is possible that this fireback was cut down from a larger fireback.

    Inscription: E L 1620

    Arms: Sir Edward Lewis of Van

    Manufactured: in 1620 in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 48.354/84 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 1981, An Inventory of Ancient Monuments of Glamorgan Vol IV Part 1: Domestic Architecture from the Reformation to the Industrial Revolution: the Greater Houses (Cardiff, HMSO).

  6. 969

    cowden,_basing 02.jpg
    600 x 573 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted rectangular shape; astragal edging (top and sides); letters in triad between separated date.

    Notes: The distinctive style of the lettering may indicate a common source with another fireback of 1728.

    Inscription: 17 TRS 31

    Manufactured: in 1731 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Cowden, Kent, England.

  7. 278

    ellesborough,_chequers 03.jpg
    600 x 810 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with fillet edging; mirrored drapery swags emanating from two wings, and terminating in elongated tassels hung from hooks; date split by wings; initials split at bottom corners.

    Notes: A simple design with space for further personalised decoration.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 87 / C S

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Chequers, Ellesborough, Buckinghamshire, England.

  8. 1132

    gallops,_crickhowell  600x600.jpg
    600 x 600 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted arched rectangular shape; rebated wide fillet edging; shield of Llewellyn impaling unidentified arms: (Llewellyn) Per fesse embattled, azure and or, a javelin erect, between two boars' heads erased in chief, and a like boar's head between two javelins in base, all counterchanged; below, scroll bearing the motto, Gwell angau na Chywilydd (Death before Dishonour), possibly inscribed after casting.

    Notes: The arms were granted to Robert William Llewellyn of Court Colman and Baglan Hall, Glamorgan, in 1902.

    Inscription: Gwell angau na Chywilydd

    Arms: Llewellyn, of Court Colman, Glamorgan

    Manufactured: in the early 20th century in Wales.

    Current location: Gallops Architectural, Ty-r-Ash, Brecon Road, Crickhowell, Powys, Wales.

  9. 124

    hastings_014.jpg
    600 x 440 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield; fleur de lys on each side and below; slanting, inverted 'V' of twisted rope on each side of lower fleur.

    Notes: One of a large series of firebacks incorporating Tudor heraldic stamps; the 'V' shapes may have apotropaic significance.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 904.32 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  10. 438

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 078a.jpg
    600 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three sided arch; astragal edging; lion rampant crest beaneath a crown; the date split either side of the lion's head.

    Notes: The evenness of the casting, the form of the crown and the lion all suggest that the date is spurious.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 39

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 20th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)