622mm tall

  1. 117

    724 x 622 mm

    Description: Rectangular with triangular pediment; stepped fillet and ogee moulded edge to pediment; twisted rope sides; date in portico; medallion with dog crest stamped twice in top left and right corners.

    Notes: A version of two firebacks bearing the letters 'FM' in Hastings and in Kensington; split but repaired with six rivets.

    Inscription: 1586

    Manufactured: in 1586 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 917.196.5 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  2. 450

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 090.jpg
    1067 x 622 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging; central crowned Tudor shield with lion passant guardant sinister to the left, and lion passant to right; four-petalled rose in right and left corners; crowned, barbed, four-petalled rose below shield.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing some or all of the same stamps.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Barbican House, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.800 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.