Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shaped with cyma recta curved shoulders and 'pinnacles'; ovolo moulded edging with a deep base panel; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Maynard family; plain motto scroll below.
Notes: The arms, which are those of an esquire, can be identified from the first four quarters on the memorial to Raffe Maynard, d.1613, in St Albans Cathedral, son of John Maynard (d.1556); quarterly, 1, Maynard: argent, a chevron azure between three sinister hands couped at the wrist gules; 2, Filleigh: gules, a fess vairy between six crosses formy or; 3, Hewis: gules fretty argent a canton of the second; 4, Lyons: argent a chevron sable between three lions dormant coward gules; the crest, a stag statant, is of Maynard. Contemporaneously, there were Maynards who operated ironworks in the Rotherfield area in Sussex, with whom this fireback may be connected. Significantly the motto scroll is blank, suggesting that the wooden pattern for the fireback had been originally intended as a decorative panel with the motto painted rather than carved in relief. The top right corner of the shield was evidently broken on the original pattern prior to being impressed into the casting sand to form the mould. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).
Copies of this fireback are known.
Arms: Maynard family
Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.14 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)