Firebacks

991mm wide

  1. 144

    hastings_027.jpg
    991 x 699 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shaped with cyma recta curved shoulders and 'pinnacles'; ovolo moulded edging with a deep base panel; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Maynard family; plain motto scroll below.

    Notes: The arms, which are those of an esquire, can be identified from the first four quarters on the memorial to Raffe Maynard, d.1613, in St Albans Cathedral, son of John Maynard (d.1556); quarterly, 1, Maynard: argent, a chevron azure between three sinister hands couped at the wrist gules; 2, Filleigh: gules, a fess vairy between six crosses formy or; 3, Hewis: gules fretty argent a canton of the second; 4, Lyons: argent a chevron sable between three lions dormant coward gules; the crest, a stag statant, is of Maynard. Contemporaneously, there were Maynards who operated ironworks in the Rotherfield area in Sussex, with whom this fireback may be connected. Significantly the motto scroll is blank, suggesting that the wooden pattern for the fireback had been originally intended as a decorative panel with the motto painted rather than carved in relief. The top right corner of the shield was evidently broken on the original pattern prior to being impressed into the casting sand to form the mould.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Maynard family

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.14 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Demain-Saunders, C., December 1934, 'The Early Maynards of Devon and St Albans', Genealogists Magazine, pp. 591-641.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 956

    unknown_75.jpg
    991 x 619 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging; date along the top; initials in triad across the middle; fleur-de-lys stamp repeated eight times down each side, pointing to the side or up in the order (from the top): side (2), then alternately, up first.

    Notes: The initials probably represent those of a married couple, the 'H' for their surname; it is unusual for twisted rope edging to continue along the bottom of the plate.

    Inscription: 1626 / RHL

    Manufactured: in 1626 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:, Gloucestershire, England.