Description: Rectangular, with arched rectangular extension on top; double astragal edging (top & sides); shield, helmet, crest and mantling of the Pelham family: quarterly, 1st and 4th, Azure, three pelicans vulning themselves proper; 2nd and 3rd, Gules, two broken belts palewise the buckles upwards argent; the crest: a peacock in pride argent.
Notes: The arms may be those of Sir Nicholas Pelham (1517-59) or of one of his two sons, Sir John (d. 1580) or Sir Thomas (c1540-1624); the latter was created a Baronet in 1611. As there is no evidence of the augmentation of a baronet on the arms, the fireback probably predates the creation of the baronetcy. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Arms: Sir Nicholas, Sir John or Sir Thomas Pelham
Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: 1944.24.054 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)