Firebacks

730mm tall

  1. 250

    chevening_house 03.jpg
    930 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal and fillet edging; shield, motto, earl’s coronet and supporters (a talbot erm. and a wolf or, ducally crowned gu.) of Stanhope impaling Pitt: quarterly (1st & 4th) erm. (2nd & 3rd) gu. (Stanhope); sa., a fess chequy az. and ar. between three bezants (Pitt); motto: A DEO ET REGE.

    Notes: James Stanhope was created 1st Earl in 1718; he had married Lucy Pitt in 1714. The Stanhope seat was Chevening, near Sevenoaks.

    Inscription: A DEO ET REGE

    Arms: Stanhope impaling Pitt; James, 1st Earl Stanhope

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Chevening House, Chevening, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 933

    christies_3-07-02 730mm x 730mm.jpg
    730 x 730 mm

    Description: Carved wooden fireback pattern. Arched rectangular shape with fillet and cavetto-moulded edging; a canopy with swagged drapery descending from ribbon bunches, beneath which stand two figures: behind, a female angelic figure, right breast exposed, blowing a trumpet held in her left hand and holding an arched rectangular shield in her right hand; in front, a classically dressed male figure wearing a face mask; slatted extensions to the side and bottom; two battens to the rear of the pattern, visible at the top.

    Notes: The significance of the scene has not been identified. Christie's auction 3 Jul 2002 lot 160.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 18th century in France.

    Current location:.

  3. 57

    east_grinstead church.jpg
    1180 x 730 mm

    Description: Rectangular; rope edging on top and sides; central inscription panel; repeated trailing vine decoration from impressed wooden strips — one horizontal line at top, four vertical strips each side of panel, eleven vertical strips below.

    Notes: This fireback came to East Grinstead church from Hurst-an-Clays, a former farmhouse on the edge of the town, in 1933. The inscription is from the same carved pattern used on the graveslab of Anne Forster in Crowhurst church, Surrey; several firebacks have been cast using this panel, each different in other details from the rest. Some of the firebacks using this inscription date from after 1591.

    Inscription: HER : LIETH : ANE : FORST/ R : DAVGHTER : AND : / HEYR : TO : THOMAS : / GAYNSFORD : ESQVIER / DECEASED : XVIII : OF: / IANVARI : 1591 : LEAVYNG / BEHIND : HER II : SONES : / AND : V : DAVGHTERS

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: St Swithun's Church, High Street, East Grinstead, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2018, 'The Anne Forster Firebacks', Surrey Archaeological Collections, 101, 99-114.

    Citation: Holgate, M. S., 1918, 'The Anne Forster Grave Slab', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 59, pp. 130-1.

  4. 994

    koldewij_collection 01.jpg
    580 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched; cavetto-moulded edging; English royal Stuart shield, garter, crown, supporters, and motto on a cartouche; a monogram of S and C lies to the left of the Garter buckle; a small rose stamp is repeated each side of crown; date split each side of top of crown.

    Notes: Although English arms, the design is in a continental style, arched firebacks being typical of Lorraine. In some later recastings the proportions have been distorted, making them narrower, and the '16' of the date is missing. The fireback illustrated was formerly in the city museum of Vlissingen in the Netherlands.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 21 / HONI SOIT QVI MAL I PENSE / SC / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James I)

    Manufactured: in 1621 possibly in the Lorraine area of France.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.

  5. 394

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 028.jpg
    845 x >730 mm

    Description: Rectangular, with arched rectangular extension on top; double astragal edging (top & sides); shield, helmet, crest and mantling of the Pelham family: quarterly, 1st and 4th, Azure, three pelicans vulning themselves proper; 2nd and 3rd, Gules, two broken belts palewise the buckles upwards argent; the crest: a peacock in pride argent.

    Notes: The arms may be those of Sir Nicholas Pelham (1517-59) or of one of his two sons, Sir John (d. 1580) or Sir Thomas (c1540-1624); the latter was created a Baronet in 1611. As there is no evidence of the augmentation of a baronet on the arms, the fireback probably predates the creation of the baronetcy.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Sir Nicholas, Sir John or Sir Thomas Pelham

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly at Waldron furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.054 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2013, 'A Pope family fireback', Wealden Iron, Bulletin of the Wealden Iron Research Group, 33, pp. 27-31.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 823

    mayfield,_yew tree farmhouse.jpg
    645 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched shape with ovolo egg-and-dart edging; crown surmounting a shield, a quartered shield with an escutcheon impaling a crowned lion rampant with an escutcheon; text along the bottom.

    Notes: The arms have not been identified; LOVEN is the town of Leuven, capital of the province of Brabant, which, in 1662, was in the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: LOVEN 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Lorraine area of Belgium.

    Current location: in private hands, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

  7. 1141

    ozleworth,_newark park.jpg
    740 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); date stamp, 1634, in arch; initials, EH, separated by a cross, below date.

    Notes: The same date stamp has been noted on another fireback; the cross between the initials may have an apotropaic purpose.

    Inscription: 1634 /E + H

    Manufactured: in 1634 in England.

    Current location: Newark Park, Ozleworth, Gloucestershire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  8. 524

    pet-m-78.jpg
    644 x 730 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, crown and supporters of King Philip IV of Spain, incorporating the arms of Castille and Leon, Aragon - Sicily, Granada, Portugal, Austria, Burgundy and Brabant; around the shield is the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece; at the top, the date split by the crown; behind, crossed lilies.

    Notes: By 1662 the arms of Portugal were redundant on the Spanish royal arms, but were retained until after the death of Philip IV; the word, LOVEN, indicates the particular association of this plate with the town of Leuven, the capital of Brabant in what was, at the time, part of the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: 16 62 / LO VEN

    Arms: King Philip IV of Spain

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/78 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  9. 827

    winchester,_westgate.jpg
    555 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a broad fillet; pictorial scene of a figure in a chariot drawn by birds, above a ground, and with clouds over; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; alternating acanthus leaves with symmetrical curled lines, monogram centre bottom; on top, two mirrored sea serpents; extension panels to each side.

    Notes: The figure is that of Jupiter, holding a bolt of lightning, who is sometimes portrayed in a chariot drawn by eagles; width without extension panels - 477mm.

    Inscription: [?]WH

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Westgate, Winchester, Hampshire, England.

    Museum number: WINCM:LH 5705 (part of the Winchester Museums museum group)

  10. 1008

    wye_college.jpg
    1230 x 730 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging on top and (probably both) sides; fillet-edged rectangle top centre, enclosing date between initials; 13 shields of Ayloffe impaling Sulyard in three rows (5-4-4), the bottom row having a gap between the middle pair of shields; Ayloffe: sable, a lion rampant Or, collared gules, between three crosses formy of the second; Sulyard: argent, a chevron gules between three pheons inverted sable.

    Notes: William Ayloffe (c1535-1584) of Hornchurch, Essex, Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench, married (c1560) Jane, dau. of Sir Eustace Sulyard, of Runwell, Essex. About 110mm of the left side has broken off suggesting an original width of 1340mm. The initials 'CT' are likely to be those of Charles Tyler, a founder whose working life and that of his family have strong parallels with the occurrence of these firebacks.

    Inscription: C 1610 T

    Arms: Ayloffe impaling Sulyard (William Ayloffe of Hornchurch)

    Manufactured: in 1610 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Wye College, High Street, Wye, Kent, England.

    Citation: Cowper, H. S., 1911, 'A Series of Kentish Heraldic Firebacks and the Identification of the Arms', Archaeologia Cantiana, 29, pp. 40-6.

    Citation: Hodgkinson. J. S., 2018, 'A series of Kentish firebacks and the possible identification of their founder', Archaeologia Cantiana, 139, pp. 312-15.