Firebacks

In the National Monuments Record of Wales museum group

  1. 975

    llanmihangel,_plas llanmihangel.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Arched shape; double-fillet edged arched border, with six evenly-spaced roses, resting on pilasters; shield, supporters, garter and coronet of the Earl of Exeter; plain rectangular bottom panel.

    Notes: The arms are of the earldom of Exeter, which was created in 1605 for Thomas Cecil, 2nd Lord Burghley (1542-1623).

    Inscription: HONY SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE [illegible]

    Arms: Cecil, Earls of Exeter

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in Wales.

    Current location: Plas Llanmihangel, Llanmihangel, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: GL 7628 (part of the National Monuments Record of Wales museum group)

    Citation: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 1981, An Inventory of Ancient Monuments of Glamorgan Vol IV Part 1: Domestic Architecture from the Reformation to the Industrial Revolution: the Greater Houses (Cardiff, HMSO).