Firebacks

Manufactured in Wales

20 results

  1. 993

    bradford-on-avon,_westwood manor 05.jpg
    ?713 x ?630 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); central stamp of a carved bracket figure of a bearded man in a loincloth and cap; rhyme in capitals across rectangular plate, letters carved on strips, split by figure.

    Notes: The twin miseries of a smoky house and a scolding wife are mentioned several times in literature. The dress of the figure suggests work as a miner, possibly linking this back with the Forest of Dean. Variants with initials and dates are also known.

    Inscription: FROM ·A·-·SMOKY ·LIFE·/ AND·A SCOVL DING·WIFE·/ALL MEN THAT-DOE·ME·SE/ TAKE·PETIE- AND·DELIVER ME

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: Westwood Manor, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England.

    Museum number: 222507 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Chambers, L. H., 'Fireback: Relic of 1660', Notes and Queries, 11th series, 6, Sept 26 1912

  2. 916

    caerphilly,_llancaiac fawr manor.jpg
    1085 x 1145 mm

    Description: Rectangular, with a detached pediment joined by rebated scrolls; cavetto-moulded edging; circular 'shield' in a cartouche, surmounted by an esquire's helm and lion rampant crest, with mantling behind; initials split by crest; date split in top corners.

    Notes: The armorial is of David Prichard (d. 1630) of Llancaiac Fawr Manor; the blazon follows the patriarchal tradition of Welsh heraldry: quarterly, 1st, Sable a lion rampant Argent (for Cydrych ap Gwaithfoed), 2nd, Sable a chevron between three fleurs de lys Argent (for Einion ap Gollwyn), 3rd, Gules three chevrons Argent (for Iestyn ap Gwrgan), and 4th, Sable a chevron between three spear-heads Argent (for Bleddyn ap Maenyrch); the '8' of the date has a flattened top. A recasting, replacing a broken original.

    Inscription: D P / 16 28

    Arms: Prichard (or ap Richard)

    Manufactured: in 1628 possibly at Dyffryn furnace in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: Llancaiach Fawr Manor, Nelson, Caerphilly, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: GTJ75111 (part of the Caerphilly County Borough Council Museums & Heritage Service museum group)

    Citation: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 1981, An Inventory of Ancient Monuments of Glamorgan Vol IV Part 1: Domestic Architecture from the Reformation to the Industrial Revolution: the Greater Houses (Cardiff, HMSO).

  3. 223

    cardiff,_st fagans 01.jpg
    1155 x 912 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto with double fillet edging; two side panels each separated by twisted rope, and each containing six fleurs de lys arranged vertically; top panel separated by twisted rope, containing inscription; central panel with lion’s head between two fleurs de lys.

    Notes: A late example of the use of individual carved stamps; from Heol Ddu Isaf, Bargoed, acquired by the National Museum of Wales in 1922.

    Inscription: WLA 1714 WLA

    Manufactured: in 1714 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 21.31 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 232

    cardiff,_st fagans 09.jpg
    600 x 710 mm

    Description: Plain plate; central shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Lewis family: quarterly 1st, sable a lion rampant argent (Lewis of Y Fan), 2nd, sable a chevron between three fleurs de lys or (Einon ap Collwyn), 3rd gules three chevronels argent(Iestyn ap Gwrgan), 4th, sable a chevron between three spear heads argent embrued gules (Bleddyn ap Maenyrch); initials split by armorial stamp (’E’ over-stamped); date, formed from single numerals, below arms.

    Notes: The arms are those of Sir Edward Lewis, of Van, who purchased St Fagans Castle in 1616. The same armorial stamp was used to model the arms on a lead cistern outside the front door of the castle. It is possible that this fireback was cut down from a larger fireback.

    Inscription: E L 1620

    Arms: Sir Edward Lewis of Van

    Manufactured: in 1620 in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 48.354/84 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 1981, An Inventory of Ancient Monuments of Glamorgan Vol IV Part 1: Domestic Architecture from the Reformation to the Industrial Revolution: the Greater Houses (Cardiff, HMSO).

  5. 235

    cardiff,_st fagans 12.jpg
    750 x 645 mm

    Description: Fragment; canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre; a fleur-de-lys stamp repeated three times vertically down left side, probably mirrored on right side (top fleur visible).

    Notes: Use of the same stamps indicates a common source with a variant dated 1692.

    Inscription: 1694

    Manufactured: in 1694 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 61.49/3 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  6. 237

    cardiff,_st fagans 14.jpg
    722 x 725 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre, between two fleurs de lys; initial below each fleur, with a fleur below each initial.

    Notes: A damaged variant, probably with six fleurs, no initials, dated 1694, is also known. Formerly at Great House, Llanllowell, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1692 / T B

    Manufactured: in 1692 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: St Fagans Castle, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 42.82 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 239

    cardiff,_st fagans 16.jpg
    >700 x >400 mm

    Description: Arched rectangle with stepped, canted shoulders; fillet and astragal edging (top and sides only); initials above date at top of plate.

    Notes: The shape and edging are uncommon. Formerly from Caerphilly, Glamorgan.

    Inscription: D H / 1746

    Manufactured: in 1746 in Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 44.303/1 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  8. 1070

    cardiff,_st fagans 18.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; two fleurs-de-lys arranged vertically top left and top right; top centre, date; below date, initials WEI in triad.

    Notes: Said to have been made by George White, iron founder, of Monmouth. Formerly from Newport, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1668 / W E I [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1668 possibly at Tintern furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 25.21 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Kissack, K., 2003, Monmouth and its Buildings (Almeley, Logaston Press).

  9. 1132

    gallops,_crickhowell  600x600.jpg
    600 x 600 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted arched rectangular shape; rebated wide fillet edging; shield of Llewellyn impaling unidentified arms: (Llewellyn) Per fesse embattled, azure and or, a javelin erect, between two boars' heads erased in chief, and a like boar's head between two javelins in base, all counterchanged; below, scroll bearing the motto, Gwell angau na Chywilydd (Death before Dishonour), possibly inscribed after casting.

    Notes: The arms were granted to Robert William Llewellyn of Court Colman and Baglan Hall, Glamorgan, in 1902.

    Inscription: Gwell angau na Chywilydd

    Arms: Llewellyn, of Court Colman, Glamorgan

    Manufactured: in the early 20th century in Wales.

    Current location: Gallops Architectural, Ty-r-Ash, Brecon Road, Crickhowell, Powys, Wales.

  10. 950

    horsted_keynes,_broadhurst_01a.jpg
    1010 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date top centre.

    Notes: The style of the numerals is identical to those seen on another fireback, indicating a common source.

    Inscription: 1658

    Manufactured: in 1658 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Horsted Keynes, West Sussex, England.