Firebacks

William Yalden series

  1. 255

    chiddingfold,_ramster 03.jpg
    770 x 535 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); along upper half of plate, date split with initials in between.

    Notes: The initials are likely of William Yalden (or Yaldwyn), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted.

    Inscription: 16 WY 68

    Manufactured: in 1668 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Ramster, Chiddingfold, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 471

    lodsworth,_blackdown house 01.jpg
    1170 x 865 mm

    Description: Rectangular with small central triangle on top; twisted rope edging (top and sides) and across base of triangle; top centre, date, centrally positioned above the separated pairs of initials, WY; right of centre, initial X; bottom centre, a hole apparently puncturing the plate from behind.

    Notes: The initials are those of William Yalden (d.1659), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted. The saltire is likely to have an apotropaic purpose. Although undoubtedly connected with the builder of the house wherein it rests, the fireback pre-dates the building, which was erected in 1640.

    Inscription: 1616 / WY WY / X

    Manufactured: in 1616 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lodsworth, West Sussex, England.

  3. 504

    northchapel,_brookside house.jpg
    770 x 535 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); along upper half of plate, date split with initials in between.

    Notes: The initials are likely of William Yalden (d.1674), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted.

    Inscription: 16 WY 68

    Manufactured: in 1668 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Northchapel, West Sussex, England.