Description: Rectangular with an arched rectangular style arch linked by symmetrical concave curves; ovolo moulding (top and sides); shield, helmet, crest and mantling of the family of Baker, of Mayfield, quartered with Farnden, of Sedlescombe: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Argent, a tower between three keys erect sable (Baker); 2nd and 3rd, Purpure, a chevron vairy Or and gules, between three leopards’ faces Or (Farnden); crest (Baker): on a tower sable an arm embowed in mail holding in the hand a flint-stone proper. Date split by mantling.
Notes: A carved armorial on a plain, edged base board. John Baker (1644-1723) married Ruth, daughter and co-heiress of Peter Farnden, in 1663; she died in 1691. During their marriage the Farnden arms, would have been borne as an escutcheon of pretence in the centre of the arms of Baker, and not quartered with those of her husband until after her death. The date, 1690, is therefore spurious and would have been added to a later casting of what on other examples is an undated armorial fireback. The same base board has been also used for another achievement of arms dated to the 1740s.
Inscription: 16 90
Arms: Baker of Mayfield quartering Farnden of Sedlescombe
Current location: Barbican House, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
(part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)