Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo-moulded edging and extensions to sides and top; central shield bearing arms with lion rampant supporters and motto scroll beneath; above, a marquesal coronet; date (over-pressed) in extension above main panel; inserted initials (slightly over-pressed) on either side of coronet.
Notes: The arms are of Henry Pierrepont, marquess of Dorchester and earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, of Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire (blazon: argent semi of cinquefoils gules, a lion rampant sable), with the motto: Pie Repone Te (Place yourself piously), a pun on the name, Pierrepont. Confusingly, the marquisate of Dorchester was created twice for members of the same family. In 1645 it was created for Henry Pierrepont, 2nd earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, becoming extinct on his death without surviving male issue in 1680. It was created again for Evelyn Pierrepont, the 5th earl of Kingston in 1706 who was subsequently elevated to the dukedom of Kingston in 1715. The original casting may therefore have dated to between 1645 and 1680 or between 1706 and 1715. The initials may be related to the Halls, the 2nd Duke of Kingston's mother's family, and were added to a subsequent casting which, in turn, could have pre-dated the addition of the dated extensions which have obliterated 'Dutch'-style dolphins known to have surmounted the original.
Inscription: 1722 / I H / PIE REPONE TE
Arms: Pierrepont, Marquess of Dorchester
Current location: Red Lodge, Park Row, Bristol, England.
Museum number: NX420 (part of the Bristol Museums, Galleries and Archives museum group)
Description: Arched rectangular shape; rebated fillet edging (top and sides); word 'BERSHAM' (AM ligature)in arch; initials triad 'C LL S' (LL ligature) in left shoulder; date on two lines in right shoulder.
Notes: The initials are likely to be those of Charles Lloyd of Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, and Sarah (née Crowley) his wife. Lloyd ran Bersham Furnace, near Wrexham, from 1710 until 1728. Smelting iron with coke began at Bersham in 1721, so it is likely that this fireback was made of coke-smelted iron.
Inscription: BERSHAM / LL 17 / C S 22
Current location: Wrexham Museum, Wrexham, Clwyd, Wales.
(part of the Wrexham County Borough Museums museum group)
- Attached to series:
- Date & initials firebacks