Firebacks

533mm tall

  1. 1012

    east_preston, bay tree cottage (country life 1959) 762x533.jpg
    762 x 533 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle with twisted rope edging (top and sides); rope line separating rectangle from trapezoidal section, which is, in turn, separated by rope lines into a central rectangle containing a rebated lozenge stamp beneath the date (reversed), and two mirrored triangles each containing what appear to be mirrored stamps of a bird, possibly a partridge, and an initial; both the initials and the date are reversed.

    Notes: Reversal of numerals and letters is not uncommon on firebacks.

    Inscription: E or F 16 04 C

    Manufactured: in 1604 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Eschbaecher, J., 22 Jan 1959, 'Why in reverse?' [letter], Country Life, p. 153.

  2. 1138

    hartpury,_prestberries.jpg
    864 x 533 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); upper centre, date between shoulders of arch.

    Notes: The numerals have been crudely impressed, probably using a pointed implement.

    Inscription: 1658

    Manufactured: in 1658 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Hartpury, Gloucestershire, England.

  3. 1160

    trefriw,_gwydir_castle_01.jpg
    787 x 533 mm

    Description: Rectangular, with double astragal edging; three eaglets, their wings outspread, side by side; the initials IW and SW, respectively, to left and right of the central eaglet's head.

    Notes: The design is based on the arms of Wynn, of Gwydir Castle in the Conwy valley of North Wales, the blazon of which is Vert, three eagles displayed in fess or. The initials relate to Sir John Wynn (1553-1626/7) who, c.1576, married Sydney Gerrard (d.1632), dating the fireback to c.1576-1626. The conjoined wings of the eagles appear to form heart shapes.

    Inscription: IW SW

    Arms: Wynn of Gwydir

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Gwydir Castle, Trefriw, Conwy, Wales.

  4. 1157

    unknown_25_457_x_533_a.jpg
    457 x 533 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; a shield with the arms of the Grocers' Company on a cartouche, surrounded by four sprays of olive leaves.

    Notes: The blazon of the arms is: Argent, a chev­ron gules between nine cloves six in chief and three in base proper. The arms were granted in 1532. The style of the fireback owes something to the design of French firebacks of the mid-17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Grocers

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in England.

    Current location:.