Firebacks

Edging: astragal

33 results

  1. 999

    broadway,_ashmolean museum 01.jpg
    555 x 853 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with cyma recta shoulders; astragal edging (top and sides); top centred, date split by a mirrored 'TC' monogram.

    Notes: A bold, simple design, its dimensions reflecting the reduced size of fireplaces in the period.

    Inscription: 16 TCTC 93

    Manufactured: in 1693 in England.

    Current location: Ashmolean Museum Broadway, 65 High Street , Broadway, Worcestershire, England.

    (part of the Ashmolean Museum museum group)

  2. 969

    cowden,_basing 02.jpg
    600 x 573 mm

    Description: Cavetto-canted rectangular shape; astragal edging (top and sides); letters in triad between separated date.

    Notes: The distinctive style of the lettering may indicate a common source with another fireback of 1728.

    Inscription: 17 TRS 31

    Manufactured: in 1731 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Cowden, Kent, England.

  3. 44

    cuckfield,_bigges farm.jpg
    ~920 x 605 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal edging; simple diamond pattern covering whole plate, formed from evenly-spaced diagonal lines.

    Manufactured: .

    Current location: in private hands, Cuckfield, West Sussex, England.

  4. 1134

    dreweatts,_newbury 5 jun 2019 lot 183 530x740.jpg
    530 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal edging; central, vertically orientated, rectangular design comprising four circular copmpartments each containing a shield, surrounding an oval central compartment containing a castle surmounted by a crest of a hand between leafy branches all emerging from a mural crown, above is a crescent mark of cadency; the compartments are set within ears of corn with a flower head top and bottom centre.

    Notes: The central design is a cast of the pattern for two panels, one on each of the pedestals of the outward-facing main columns on the Norwich Gates at Sandringham House, Norfolk. The shields are of Norfolk towns: (top left) Norwich, (top right) Great Yarmouth, (bottom left) King's Lynn, and (bottom right) Thetford. The central arms are those used by the county of Norfolk (before its official grant of arms in 1904) with the crest of the then Sheriff, Robert John Harvey of Crown Point Norwich. The gates were designed by Thomas Jeckyll and made by Messrs Barnard, Bishop and Barnard of Norwich for the International Exhibition at South Kensington in 1862. With some modifications, including the addition of the panel on the fireback, the gates were given by the people of Norfolk to the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) as a wedding gift in 1863. The design on the fireback was impressed into the mould from a panel originally used in the casting of the gates. Lot 183, Dreweatts sale, Newbury, 5 June 2019.

    Arms: City of Norwich, Borough of Great Yarmouth, Borough of King's Lynn, Borough of Thetford, County of Norfolk

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century probably at Norfolk Ironworks, Norwich, furnace in the Norfolk area of England.

    Current location: Donnington Priory, Newbury, Berkshire, England.

  5. 58

    enniskillen,_florence court 01.jpg
    726 x 745 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto edging; a pheon (a downward-pointing arrow head barbed on the inner edge), the badge of the Sidneys, within a wreath, an earl’s coronet above; the date on either side of the coronet.

    Notes: The badge is of the Sidneys, Earls of Leicester. The date is most likely to be 1626 as the Earldom was not conferred upon Robert Sidney until 1618 and he died in 1626. A recast plate.

    Inscription: 16 [?]26

    Arms: Badge of Sidney family, Earls of Leicester

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century possibly at Robertsbridge furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Florence Court, Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.

    Museum number: NT/FLO/M/1078 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  6. 68

    frant,_lightlands 02.jpg
    1180 x 475 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; ovolo edging (top and sides); symmetrically arranged, initials separated by overpressed, fillet edged stamp bearing letters WF surmounted by a bent arm holding a battleaxe issuing from a chapeau; beneath are two shields bearing the arms of Fowle.

    Notes: The shield and crest stamps relate to William Fowle (1568-1634) and are those used on iron grave slabs in Wadhurst and Frant churches and in Maidstone museum, as well as on other firebacks. The initials have not been identified. A nearly identical casting has the shields positioned slightly differently. The fireback was formerly in Riverhall, Wadhurst, built by William Fowle.

    Inscription: EC DT / WF

    Arms: William Fowle, of Frant and Wadhurst

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century probably at Riverhall furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Frant, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 832

    honiton,_marwood house 01.jpg
    921 x 514 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular; astragal edging (top and sides), inside of which are repeated panels carved with overlapping fleurs-de-lys; upper centre, date evenly spaced in individual numerals; below date, initials evenly spaced in individual letters; at each end of date, single small fleur-de-lys stamp; at each end of initials, large hollow fleur-de-lys; diagonally from left lower corner of canting, line of six 'belt-buckle'[?] stamps, and from right six hollow cross stamps; in bottom corners, triad of small fleur-de-lys stamps each enclosing a large fleur below; bottom centre, woodblock stamp.

    Notes: The repeated fleur panels are likely to have derived from furniture. Some of the same stamps are on a fireback dated 1667 at Upper End Farm, Hope Mansell, Herefordshire.

    Inscription: 1683 / AK

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands Sible Hedingham, Suffolk, England.

  8. 1003

    horsham,_11 causeway.jpg
    1540 x 1480 mm

    Description: Large plain arched rectangular fireback with astragal edging on the top and sides.

    Notes: Exceptionally large fireback, finely cast.

    Manufactured: in the late 18th to early 19th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Horsham, West Sussex, England.

  9. 346

    ightham_mote 05.jpg
    910 x 892 mm

    Description: Rectangular with arched rectangular shaped top joined by cavetto curves; astragal edging; shield, supporters, ducal coronet, motto and garter of the Duke of Dorset: Quarterly, Or and gules, a bend vair.

    Notes: Almost certainly the arms of Lionel Sackville KG (1688-1765), created first duke of Dorset in 1720.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [around shield] HONY SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / [on motto scroll] AUT NUNQUAM TENTES, AUT PERFICE

    Arms: Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Ightham Mote, Ightham, Kent, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  10. 365

    lambourn,_ashdown house 01.jpg
    860 x 860 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal edging with parallel astragal enclosing a border of undulating convolvulus vine, leaves and flowers; bead and disc circle in arch, above a pair of lions rampant facing each other, between which are a five-pointed star above a rose.

    Notes: A fireback in a retro-Regency style

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 19th to early 20th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lambourn, Berkshire, England.