Firebacks

795mm tall

  1. 1205

    birchgrove,_bunces_01.png
    925 x 795 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulded edging; top centre within arch, initials above date.

    Notes: Plain elegant fireback from a late series, probably cast in the south east of England. The crack emanating from the top right corner of the fireback seems to be a weakness on all the recorded examples, and may have caused by thinness of the base board at that point.

    Inscription: R.R / 1857

    Manufactured: in 1857 in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Horsted Keynes, West Sussex, England.

  2. 422

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 057a.jpg
    910 x 795 mm

    Description: Rectangular with a square projection middle top; castellated top edging; top centre, stylised Calvary; upper section: pictorial scene, centre, house with tiled roof, windows, and chimney at each end, paths leading from house; left, possible forge building with four chimneys and three water wheels, and adjacent furnace stack?; above, shed with lean-to, barrow, and wheel structure, all between trees; right, figure of a man running towards the house, unidentified objects between trees; lower section: plain panel with central triple-grooved horizontal line.

    Notes: A striking and unusual fireback with a scene suggesting a connection with iron-making. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.045 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  3. 439

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 079.jpg
    >660 x 795 mm

    Description: Fragment; left part only; this fireback comprises at least four separate elements: the rectangular central panel has an anchor with coiled rope between two fleurs de lys, below which are two roses; the rectangular side panels each comprise a vertical stem with six ‘grape bunches’ surmounted by a circular grape cluster; above, a semicircular arch contains the initials between two roses as in the central panel, with the date above; where the arch meets the central panel there is an arc across each corner. The side and top panels are edged with simulated twisted rope; to the left and botoom, a plain extension has been added before casting.

    Notes: Because of its date and the use of the anchor motif, this much-copied plate is often referred to as the Armada fireback. No other connection with the sea battle is known. Other firebacks have been cast using some of the separate elements described.

    Inscription: 1588 / IFC

    Manufactured: in 1588 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.060 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  4. 962

    wisborough_green, harsfold farmhouse.jpg
    1010 x 795 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo moulded edging; Tudor royal shield, garter, crown, motto and supporters (crowned lion and dragon); plain panels at sides and bottom.

    Notes: A common variant has a rose and portcullis either side of the crown, and the top of the lion's crown and the dragon's ear do not overlap the edging; without the extension panels, the approximate dimensions of the main plate are 805mm wide by 590 high.

    Inscription: [Garter] HONI SOIT QVI MAL E PENSE / [motto] DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Wisborough Green, West Sussex, England.