Description: Canted rectangle; ovolo edging (top and sides); symmetrically arranged, initials separated by overpressed, fillet edged stamp bearing letters WF surmounted by a bent arm holding a battleaxe issuing from a chapeau; beneath are two shields bearing the arms of Fowle.
Notes: The shield and crest stamps relate to William Fowle (1568-1634) and are those used on iron grave slabs in Wadhurst and Frant churches and in Maidstone museum, as well as on other firebacks. The initials have not been identified. The fireback was formerly in Riverhall, Wadhurst, built by William Fowle. Other similar castings with the same set of initials have been noted.
Inscription: EC DT / WF
Arms: William Fowle, of Frant and Wadhurst
- Decoration tags:
- canted rectangular (shape)
- astragal (edging)
- carved stamps
- individual letters
Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century probably at Riverhall Furnace, Wadhurst in the Weald area of England.
Current location: in private hands, Frant, East Sussex, England.
Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.
Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).
- Attached to series:
- Fowle series