533mm wide

  1. 126

    >533 x 660 mm

    Description: Fragment; rectangular; astragal and fillet edging (top and sides); oblique lion passant above two left facing 'imps', one with right arm raised, the other with both arms lowered.

    Notes: One of the legs of the leopard is missing, suggesting that the stamp, which appears complete on many firebacks, was well used and had been damaged; this suggests a relatively late use of this stamp.One of a large series all bearing royal heraldic stamps, but unusual in the use of moulded edging, twisted rope being normally used for this series. The surviving elements were probably mirrored on the missing half. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.12 (LA 760) (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2022, 'A Tudor Fireback Stamp: the progressive deterioration of its condition as evidence of the relative age of castings', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 27, pp. 42-5.

  2. 434

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 072.jpg
    533 x 590 mm

    Description: Damaged; rectangle, flanged edging; two vertical panels, each with a row of lancet arches along the top: on right, robed figure with a crown, head tilted to left, left hand raised in benediction, right hand holding a chalice, standing on a bracket; on right, similar figure facing forward.

    Notes: Stoveplate. Similar plates suggest these may be two of the Magi.

    Manufactured: in the early 16th century in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.795 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1866, 'The Antiquities preserved in the Museum of Lewes Castle', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 18, pp. 60-73.