Firebacks

Edging: flanged

21 results

  1. 60

    etchingham,_king johns lodge  01.jpg
    >1130 x 670 mm

    Description: Fragment; rectangular; flanged top edge; probable symmetrical arrangement of crowned Tudor royal shield stamps (4 above 3); vertical line on either side of each shield; left hand print in bottom left corner, probably mirrored on right.

    Notes: The right side of the fireback is missing. Very crude modelling of stamp suggests an early date; the same crowned shield and use of hand print can be seen on a fireback at Rolvenden, indicating a common source..

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Etchingham, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 565

    folkestone_museum.jpg
    414 x 855 mm

    Description: Rectangular; flanged edging; small guilloche pattern down each side and along the bottom; upper panel, pictorial scene of the Marriage at Cana; lower panel, inscription panel within a strapwork cartouche with flowers below.

    Notes: An end stove plate with a popular scene from the New Testament - John 2.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 H 38

    Manufactured: in 1638 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Folkestone Library and Heritage Centre, Grace Street, Folkestone, Kent, England.

    (part of the Folkestone Library and Heritage Centre museum group)

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  3. 108

    haslemere_museum 07.jpg
    1500 x 770 mm

    Description: Quasi-rectangular with narrow arches at top ends and a broad low central arch, between which are flat-topped peaks linked to the arches by shallow concave curves; flanged edge (top and sides); mirroring the edge a channel has been engraved into the metal, extending into the small arches, producing the effect of a wide fillet along the top and sides with an inverted U-shaped return into the end arches; within the channel, at each end, a primitive representation of a vertical, hollow plant stem and four mirrored pairs of curved branches, with a vertical channel parallel to the edge joining the branch ends on the inside; between these is cast a small, rectangular panel with ovolo edging, bearing a full achievement of the arms of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers; the date is centrally placed above this panel.

    Notes: An usual fireback for several reasons: the use of engraving for significant elements of the design, the flanged edge, and the incorporation of a small fireback. The Clothworkers’ arms: Sable a chevron ermine between in chief two Havettes Argent and in base a Teazel Cob Or; crest: on a Mount vert a Ram statant Or; supporters: two Griffins Or pellettée; the arms as displayed were granted in 1587. An example of the armorial fireback on its own is in Petworth House.

    Inscription: WV 1659 WV

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Clothworkers

    Manufactured: in 1659 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Haslemere Educational Museum, Haslemere, Surrey, England.

    (part of the Haslemere Educational Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 357

    knowle,_baddesley clinton 02.jpg
    550 x 697 mm

    Description: Stove side plate; ovolo moulded edging; upper panel, pictorial scene of Jesus and the woman of Samaria (John: 4), with inscription below; lower panel, two circular frames, each with a figure, male to the right, female to the left, decorative scroll work between.

    Notes: Stove plates were often used as firebacks once the stoves had been replaced by more efficient ones.

    Inscription: VON DEN FREWLEIN VON SAMARIA IOHAN 4

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Baddesley Clinton Hall, Knowle, Warwickshire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  5. 389

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 024.jpg
    750 x 590 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; plain edge with inset astragal on all sides; stylised buckle surmounted by an earl’s coronet between the two halves of the date.

    Notes: The buckle is the badge of the Pelham family and the earl’s coronet may refer to the Earldom of Clare to which Thomas Pelham-Holles, 2nd Baron Pelham of Laughton was raised in 1714. The following year he was created Marquess of Clare and Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

    Inscription: 17 15

    Manufactured: in 1715 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.084 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 420

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 055.jpg
    580 x 460 mm

    Description: Rectanglular; flanged cavetto-moulded edging; pictorial scene of Christ and the woman of Samaria at Jacob's Well.

    Notes: Stoveplate; the scene illustrates the story from John 4.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.797 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  7. 421

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 056.jpg
    950 x 550 mm

    Description: Rectangular; flanged edge; central pictorial panel illustrating Mordecai arriving before King Ahasuerus, Haman hanging from the gallows behind; two floral side panels, at the top of each a monogram within a cartouche: on the left KS, on the right H?D.

    Notes: Stoveplate; the scene illustrates a scene from Esther 7: 10 and 8: 1.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: KS H[?]D

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.040 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  8. 434

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 072.jpg
    533 x 590 mm

    Description: Damaged; rectangle, flanged edging; two vertical panels, each with a row of lancet arches along the top: on right, robed figure with a crown, head tilted to left, left hand raised in benediction, right hand holding a chalice, standing on a bracket; on right, similar figure facing forward.

    Notes: Stoveplate. Similar plates suggest these may be two of the Magi.

    Manufactured: in the early 16th century in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.795 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  9. 547

    pet-m-103.jpg
    697 x 812 mm

    Description: Rectangular with flanged edging; upper rectangular panel with cyma recta edging; pictorial scene of the Marriage at Cana; lower rectangular panel with fillet edging; three circular medallions with twin, concentric fillet edges, the left one with the bust of male, the right one with the bust of a female and the centre one with a floral design.

    Notes: The scene is from the New Testament - John 2.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/103 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  10. 579

    pet-m-70.jpg
    586 x 712 mm

    Description: Rectangular; flanged edging; upper part, pictorial scene of a landscape with tree, clouds and buildings in the background; foreground, Jesus and three disciples, and a woman pleading on her knees. Above the group, the letter D; at the bottom, the letters, MR.

    Notes: Although the quotation is given as Matthew 15: 15, the scene appears to illustrate Matthew 15: 22 - 'And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.'

    Inscription: D / MATTHAI CAP 15 V 15 [quotation in German] / MR[?]

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/70 (part of the National Trust museum group)