Firebacks

590mm tall

19 results

  1. 18

    billingshurst,_six bells.jpg
    850 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging; otherwise plain plate with inscription panel centre top.

    Notes: Inscription panel identical to that on the memorial plate to Anne Forster in Crowhurst church, Surrey. At least ten other firebacks are known with the same inscription panel.

    Inscription: HER : LIETH : ANE : FORST/ R : DAVGHTER : AND : / HEYR : TO : THOMAS : / GAYNSFORD : ESQVIER / DECEASED : XVIII : OF: / IANVARI : 1591 : LEAVYNG / BEHIND : HER II : SONES : / AND : V : DAVGHTERS

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: The Six Bells Inn, High Street, Billingshurst, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2018, 'The Anne Forster Firebacks', Surrey Archaeological Collections, 101, 99-114.

  2. 852

    bridgewater_collection 06.jpg
    ?805 x ?590 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cyma recta (ogee) moulded edging (top and sides); fleur-de-lys stamp repeated three times across the upper part of the plate; a long pastry mould stamped between each pair of fleurs; above the central fleur, a small stamp, over-pressed, bearing FL below a coronet; above the right fleur, a small stamp, over-pressed, bearing a fish embowed.

    Notes: The food moulds are variations of others used in the same series.

    Inscription: FL

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

  3. 244

    chailey,_woodbrooks farm 04.jpg
    895 x 590 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); stamp of three ostrich feathers within a coronet, between the two parts of the date, with lion and unicorn supporters outside date.

    Notes: The ostrich feathers are the badge of the Prince of Wales. There is no known significance of the year 1629 with that title, the birth of the prince (later Charles II) being in the following year. The date was probably added to a recasting of the plate. The lack of detail in the modelling indicates this has been recast several times.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 29

    Manufactured: in 1629 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Chailey, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  4. 49

    dallington,_acelands.jpg
    635 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with cavetto curves rising to corners and a ‘portico’ top; fillet edging with bas-relief, alternate regularly spaced semi-circles and triangles inside; two-handled flower vase with acanthus bas-relief, trailing vines issuing from top, with pomegranate and hop(?), descending through handles to base; lion’s head at top; date split either side of vase base.

    Notes: The bas-relief edging also appears on other firebacks, suggesting the same pattern maker. The date was probably added separately.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Dallington, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 871

    east_grinstead, gullege 02.jpg
    895 x ~590 mm

    Description: Canted rectanular shape, with stepped fillet edging (top and sides); upper centre, horizontal ?leather twist above an inverted ?leather twist 'V'; on each side, a shield-shaped stamp repeated twice, the upper one of each being angled so its side is parallel to the canted edging.

    Notes: The design on the shield is not recognisably heraldic in form, and appears to incorporate a possible pictorial element although this is not clear; the inverted 'V' shape may have apotropaic significance.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, East Grinstead, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  6. 386

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 021.jpg
    920 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging on top and sides; date placed centrally near top.

    Inscription: 1679

    Manufactured: in 1679 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.910 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  7. 389

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 024.jpg
    750 x 590 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; plain edge with inset astragal on all sides; stylised buckle surmounted by an earl’s coronet between the two halves of the date.

    Notes: The buckle is the badge of the Pelham family and the earl’s coronet may refer to the Earldom of Clare to which Thomas Pelham-Holles, 2nd Baron Pelham of Laughton was raised in 1714. The following year he was created Marquess of Clare and Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

    Inscription: 17 15

    Manufactured: in 1715 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.084 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 434

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 072.jpg
    533 x 590 mm

    Description: Damaged; rectangle, flanged edging; two vertical panels, each with a row of lancet arches along the top: on right, robed figure with a crown, head tilted to left, left hand raised in benediction, right hand holding a chalice, standing on a bracket; on right, similar figure facing forward.

    Notes: Stoveplate. Similar plates suggest these may be two of the Magi.

    Manufactured: in the early 16th century in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.795 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  9. 945

    lindfield,_woodsland farm 01.jpg
    785 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with two-stepped top; twisted rope edging (top and sides) formed of short rope sections, with top vertical sections extending down beyond the join with the next horizontal section; top centre, stamp formed of a talbot statant guardant upon a wreath; date separated by crest stamp; initials below and separated by date.

    Notes: The talbot crest has been seen on other firebacks indicating a common source.

    Inscription: 16 21 / R T

    Manufactured: in 1621 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lindfield, West Sussex, England.

  10. 488

    michelham_001.jpg
    617 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with complex quasi-arched rectangular top; fillet edging; shield with Royal arms of France in a cartouche; above, an English crown.

    Notes: The combination of the English crown and French arms is common and may relate to the marriage of Charles I and Princess Henrietta Maria of France in 1625. Said to have been cast by Thomas Prickett (1727-95) at Gloucester Furnace, Lamberhurst.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: France modern

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century probably at Lamberhurst furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.068 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Phillips, C. T., 1894, 'Interesting additions to the museum', Sussex Archaeological Collections,39, pp. 214-5.