Firebacks

Manufactured in 1671

  1. 1023

    coombes,_old rectory.jpg
    975 x 610 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; hatched fillet edging (top and sides); initials in triad to the left; fleur-de-lys stamp repeated seven times across top; date and initial pairs below; full width, horizontal hatched fillet below inscription; zig-zag formed of short, hatched fillets down each side below horizontal fillet; space within bordered by squared cross stamp repeated 12 times horizontally and six times on each side.

    Notes: The distinctive squared cross and fleur stamps are seen on other firebacks; the initials in triad may relate to a husband and wife, the pairs of initials to their children; an almost identical fireback seen at Smith's Funeral Services, close to the site of Elmbridge Furnace, at Newent, Gloucestershire, differs only in the alignment of the left-hand column of squared crosses.

    Inscription: AHE [triad] 1671 WH MH

    Manufactured: in 1671 possibly at Elmbridge (Newent) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Coombes, West Sussex, England.

  2. 1078

    stoke-on-trent,_potteries museum.jpg
    648 x 838 mm

    Description: Fragment; quasi-arched rectangular shape; twisted rope or leather edging; flame on centre arch and on top corners (left missing); initials in triad above central shield with date split either side of centre; the bottom right corner is missing.

    Notes: The initials are of Philip and Elizabeth Hollins of Mosslee Hall, Cheddleton, Staffordshire, who were married in 1671. Blazon: Argent, a chevron azure, in chief four crosses formee fitchee of the second.

    Inscription: PHE [triad] / 16 71

    Arms: Hollins, of Mosslee Hall

    Manufactured: in 1671 possibly in the Staffordshire area of England.

    Current location: The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Bethesda Street, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.

    Museum number: LH.SH.1955.21 (part of the Stoke-on-Trent Museums museum group)

    Citation: Dodd, A. E. & M. E., 1957, 'A Seventeenth Century Fireback', Trans. North Staffs Field Club, 90, pp. 39-40