838mm tall

  1. 955

    914 x 838 mm

    Description: Composite; canted arched rectangular shape; armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1620 date above crown; this overlies a canted rectangular plate, with twisted rope edging, fillet; two quasi-horizontal fillets from the tops of the vertical sides to the middle of the armorial fireback separate the back into two uneven parts, the date in the top part, split by the armorial, and a fleur-de-lys at the top of the lower part, also separated by the armorial.

    Notes: The use of the armorial back is seen frequently and probably dates from 1619, though the date is usually altered; in this case the alteration does not match the more prominent date for the fireback; photograph ex T. Crowther & Son Ltd, 1985.

    Inscription: 16 29 / HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / 16 37 / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1637 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:.

  2. 1078

    stoke-on-trent,_potteries museum.jpg
    648 x 838 mm

    Description: Fragment; quasi-arched rectangular shape; twisted rope or leather edging; flame on centre arch and on top corners (left missing); initials in triad above central shield with date split either side of centre; the bottom right corner is missing.

    Notes: The initials are of Philip and Elizabeth Hollins of Mosslee Hall, Cheddleton, Staffordshire, who were married in 1671. Blazon: Argent, a chevron azure, in chief four crosses formee fitchee of the second.

    Inscription: PHE [triad] / 16 71

    Arms: Hollins, of Mosslee Hall

    Manufactured: in 1671 possibly in the Staffordshire area of England.

    Current location: The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Bethesda Street, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.

    Museum number: LH.SH.1955.21 (part of the Stoke-on-Trent Museums museum group)

    Citation: Dodd, A. E. & M. E., 1957, 'A Seventeenth Century Fireback', Trans. North Staffs Field Club, 90, pp. 39-40.

  3. 706

    tiverton_castle 06.jpg
    590 x 838 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel, with bead edging; pictorial, two men in 17th century dress, on a ground, carrying a huge bunch of grapes slung from a pole between them, behind are vine leaves; the initials located below the top corners; arched rectangular border, fillet edging, containing vine leaves and grapes; above, symmetrical swirling foliage.

    Notes: The scene, drawn from the Old Testament, represents Joshua and Caleb carrying the bunch of grapes from the valley of Eshcol in the land of Canaan, back to Moses and the children of Israel (Numbers 13: 23-4); a small number of firebacks bear the initials, GK; it is not known to whom they refer, but dated examples are of 1700.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: G K

    Manufactured: in 1700 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Tiverton Castle, Tiverton, Devon, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 905

    unknown_64 762x838.jpg
    762 x 838 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; fillet edging (top and sides); date to full width across centre of plate.

    Notes: Bold, evenly-spaced numerals.

    Inscription: 1680

    Manufactured: in 1680 in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Vauxhall, London, England.