Firebacks

Manufactured in 1683

  1. 832

    honiton,_marwood house 01.jpg
    921 x 514 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular; astragal edging (top and sides), inside of which are repeated panels carved with overlapping fleurs-de-lys; upper centre, date evenly spaced in individual numerals; below date, initials evenly spaced in individual letters; at each end of date, single small fleur-de-lys stamp; at each end of initials, large hollow fleur-de-lys; diagonally from each lower corner of canting, line of six squared cross stamps; in bottom corners, triad of small fleur-de-lys stamps each enclosing a large fleur below; bottom centre, woodblock stamp.

    Notes: The repeated fleur panels are likely to have derived from furniture. Varied use of the same stamps are on other firebacks, including one dated 1667 at Upper End Farm, Hope Mansell, Herefordshire.

    Inscription: 1683 / AK

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands Sible Hedingham, Suffolk, England.

  2. 1050

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 111.jpg
    645 x 393 mm

    Description: Rectangular; triple-moulded edging (top and sides); top left, initials RKI in triad; top right, date.

    Notes: The initials probably relate to a husband and wife, the top initial being that of their surname. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: RKI [triad] 1683

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.921 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)