Manufactured in 1692

  1. 237

    cardiff,_st fagans 14.jpg
    722 x 725 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre, between two fleurs de lys; initial below each fleur, with a fleur below each initial.

    Notes: A damaged variant (see Fireback no. 235), probably with six fleurs, no initials, dated 1694, is also known. Formerly at Great House, Llanllowell, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1692 / T B

    Manufactured: in 1692 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: St Fagans Castle, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 42.82 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 302

    840 x 580 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cyma reversa moulded edging (top and sides); top centre, date with central space; top corners, ‘A’ above ‘TA’, in all cases the ‘A’ is inverted.

    Notes: The significance of the inverted ‘A’ is not known; possibly an example from a late 17th-century series which often includes a rose and crown stamp.

    Inscription: A 16 92 A / TA TA

    Manufactured: in 1692 in England.

    Current location: Gillingham Museum, Gillingham, Dorset, England.

  3. 611

    1360 x 725 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides) with fillet inside; top centre, rose-and-crown between four concentric roundels, two on each side in line, with two more below the inner ones; small fleurs-de-lys in triad below rose-and-crown; top left, initials; top right, date; small rose below date; triad of small roses to right of, and below, initials.

    Notes: The style of rose and crown is similar to that used in gun founding in the Tudor period, suggesting that the furnace that was the source of this fireback may have been used for that purpose. Sold at Christie's Masters and Makers auction, 30 November 2010, lot 524 (£688).

    Inscription: RP 1692

    Manufactured: in 1692 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Wadhurst, East Sussex, England.