Firebacks

1190mm tall

  1. 1252

    wartling,_cowden_farm.jpg
    880 x 1190 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape; no edging; arched rectangular central panel edged with a garland within a cartouche between guilloche-moulded bands that extend vertically below to form two further panels separated by a similar but plain band; the two bottom panels each extend sideways to form simulated pedestals; below is a plain, borderless panel. Within the main panel, at each corner a cherub head facing towards the centre; within the border of the panel, a symmetrical strapwork band forms the edge of a cartouche that is scrolled at the bottom and which curves away from the edge of the panel at the sides to reveal scrolls from behind, and which forms a heart shape in front of each of the putti enclosing an indeterminate feature; in the centre of the panel, resting upon a scrolled cartouche with scallop shells to left and right, a gadrooned medallion enclosing the depiction of an empty mural monument, draped from above and with a lion's mask below. Resting upon the pedestal to the right, a consol enclosing an indeterminate circular feature with two descending bands; on the pedestal to the left a similar consol and indeterminate circular feature but with a single descending band; above each consol the head of a classical deity facing to right and left respectively, above which are rows of vertical figures, four on the left and two on the right, which may be caryatid figures possibly intended to depict the Daughters of Athens on the Parthenon; above the main panel symmetrical scrolls. In the lower panel, a central rectangular cartouche, scrolled at the top and bottom, between symmetrical vignettes.

    Notes: Some of the detail is too indistinct to permit accurate description, but a fireback of untypical design features that are all characteristic of the early-17th century.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Wartling, East Sussex, England.

  2. 612

    westland_ltd 9794 840x1190.jpg
    840 x 1190 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with astragal edging; allegorical figure of Peace, her right arm raised and her left hand holding an olive branch, standing amid the weapons of war; above her swags of drapery and fruit enclosing the word, PAX; arched rectangular shaped border with ovolo-moulded egg and dart edging; top centre, lion's face from which issue festoons of fruit and leaves which descend down each side, suspended from rings; at the bottom, a motto scroll bearing the date; on top, the face of a putto between two descending fish.

    Notes: A more-than-usually elaborate border to a typical central panel.

    Inscription: PAX / 16 63

    Manufactured: in 1663 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location:, not known.