Firebacks

558mm tall

  1. 590

    richmond,_ham house 02.jpg
    685 x 558 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape, semi-circular protrusions on top corners; cavetto-moulded edging; two mirrored scrolls inside arch; a phoenix in flames, its wings displayed and inverted.

    Notes: A variant bears the date, 1650, and the initials, IM; a loop normally at the top is absent.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century possibly at Brede furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Ham House, Richmond, Surrey, England.

    Museum number: NT/HAM/XX/300 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 648

    rochester_05.jpg
    368 x 558 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with arch and bead-on-fillet edging; pictorial representation of a popinjay, or parrot, perched on a ring suspended by a ribbon from a bow, the bird is clutching an olive twig, other sprigs are below; arched rectangular border with arch and fillet edging; mirrored festoons of flowers and fruit suspended from roses, scrolled foliage at the bottom; on top, central scallop shell between descending dolphins.

    Notes: The parrot on the ring perch is a popular design on Dutch firebacks.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Eastgate House, High Street, Rochester, Kent, England.

    Museum number: A3491 (part of the Rochester Guildhall Museum museum group)

  3. 1094

    smallhythe_place 02.jpg
    1143 x 558 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield between a lion passant on the right and a lion passant guardant sinister on the left; in each top corner a crowned four-petal rose, below which, to the right, a left-facing 'imp' with both arms lowered; below the armorial, a crowned shield bearing initials, KH, in Lombardic lettering, above a fleur-de-lys; a much-corroded imp figure may be below the right-hand lion.

    Notes: A heavily corroded variant of a type bearing Henrician heraldic elements.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Smallhythe Place, Smallhythe Road, Tenterden, Kent, England.

    Museum number: NT/SMA/M/37 (part of the National Trust museum group)