Firebacks

  1. 10

    alfriston_clergy house.jpg
    1280 x 540 mm

    Description: Rectangular; rope edging (top and sides); central Tudor royal shield with encircling garter (motto reversed: HONE SOVT QVEY PEN), separate greyhound and lion supporters, separate crown; a bird, repeated in each top corner, its wings displayed and inverted and its head facing behind and to the left, standing on a scroll; a fleur de lys repeated in the bottom corners; inside the birds is a repeated stamp, part of one noted on a fireback in Hastings Museum.

    Notes: The particular form of the Tudor arms and supporters is frequently encountered; the birds (probably swans, a Lancastrian icon) are also seen on other firebacks, as are the distinctive style of fleurs de lys; the combined use of these three groups of stamps suggests a common source.

    Arms: Tudor royal (prob. Henry VIII)

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: The Clergy House, Alfriston, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/ALF/M/1 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).