Firebacks

  1. 541

    pet-m-96.jpg
    754 x 1005 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a female holding a small child, with two putti, one on each next side of her; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; central cartouche at top, with festoons of fruit, flowers and leaves suspended on each side from ribbons supported by rings; at the bottom, swirled ribbon around an oval compartment bearing the inscription; on top, a central cartouche from which descend a cornucopia on each side of the arch.

    Notes: The allegorical figure of Charity; the inscription indicates the style of border; other firebacks with the same inscription have the same border; similar inscriptions (e.g. L7C and L8G) indicate different borders.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: L6C

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/96 (part of the National Trust museum group)