Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; oval shield of the Paulet family (three swords, points conjoined in pile), within a cartouche, surmounted by a marquis’s coronet; date split between bottom corners.
Notes: The arms of Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester, who succeeded to the title in 1674 and was created Duke of Bolton in 1689. The fireback is reported to have come from Grange Farm, Basing House, Hampshire; Basing House was the seat of the Paulets.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Inscription: 16 87
Arms: Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester
Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.
Museum number: M.103-1913 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)