Firebacks

Manufactured in 1687

  1. 278

    ellesborough,_chequers 03.jpg
    600 x 810 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with fillet edging; mirrored drapery swags emanating from two wings, and terminating in elongated tassels hung from hooks; date split by wings; initials split at bottom corners.

    Notes: A simple design with space for further personalised decoration.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 87 / C S

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Chequers, Ellesborough, Buckinghamshire, England.

  2. 576

    greenwich,_national maritime museum 01.jpg
    684 x 732 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; stepped fillet edging; in the arch, two putti holding a wreath from which hang two swags of drapery which, passing through rings in each top corner of the plate, terminate in large tassels comprising fruit and flowers, which reach nearly to the bottom of the plate; at the bottom, the date in a central cartouche surmounted by a scallop shell, between the two initials.

    Notes: The space in the middle of the plate is available for further decoration.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: G / 1687 / S

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, England.

    Museum number: AAA3478 (part of the National Maritime Museum museum group)

  3. 92

    hampton_court 05.jpg
    890 x 710 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; paternost bead edging (top and sides); Stuart royal arms: shield, garter, helm, crown, crest, supporters and motto; date split between top corners; initials split beneath supporters.

    Notes: Firebacks with royal arms attributable to the reign of James II are, inevitably, uncommon owing to the brevity of his reign. Paternost beads are more usually found as edging on ‘Dutch’ types of fireback. A polychrome casting of this fireback is displayed as the royal arms in St James's church in North Cray, Kent.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1687 /HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / I R / DIEU ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James II)

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hampton Court, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1010 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 762

    va_38.jpg
    600 x 680 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; oval shield of the Paulet family (three swords, points conjoined in pile), within a cartouche, surmounted by a marquis’s coronet; date split between bottom corners.

    Notes: The arms of Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester, who succeeded to the title in 1674 and was created Duke of Bolton in 1689. The fireback is reported to have come from Grange Farm, Basing House, Hampshire; Basing House was the seat of the Paulets.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 87

    Arms: Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly at Sowley furnace in England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.103-1913 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).