Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; ground with birds, and trees behind; in the centre a circular fountain rim with a swan on a plinth surrounded by water, with jets of water rising from the swan’s mouth and descending on either side; above, a heron and a goose fly to the left; under the arch, swags of drapery; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a scallop shell, top centre, with a looed 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base between date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single central vertical plankline.
Notes: One of a group of firebacks, all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription which translates as 'God is our strength'. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from an illustration in Labyrinthe de Versailles by Charles Perrault (1677); the flying heron is copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24
Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.
Museum number: F83.116 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)