Firebacks

British 'Dutch' style firebacks

78 results

  1. 157

    1944-24-073.jpg
    420 x 685 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with paternost bead edging; figure holding a bow in his left hand and a lyre in his right hand, a quiver suspended from his belt, on an undulating ground with small trees, and suspended swags of drapery above; Arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, and symmetrical flowers and swirled tendrils; initials at bottom centre; on top, symmetrical pattern of swirled leaves and tendrils.

    Notes: The figure is Apollo, personifying the Sun, one of a set of 'Eight Deities' engraved by Hendrick Goltzius (1592), after Polidoro da Caravaggio; the fireback is one of a large group bearing the same initials, which probably denotes the pattern maker. Other groups may have been the work of the same carver or workshop. The execution is rather crude.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.73 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 1130

    amerongen,_21 nederstraat 04 465x735.jpg
    465 x 735 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with helical ribbon edging; pictorial image of a partially clothed female figure, holding an upraised wreath in her left hand and a garland in her right hand, standing on a ground, with a gadrooned vase containing flowers and leaves to the right and, above, swagged drapery; arched rectangular fillet border with descending leaves and flowers suspended from a wreath, top centre, and a wreath in each top corner; on top, mirrored swirled fronds terminating in the heads of sea monsters; bottom, all decoration obliterated by fire damage.

    Notes: The figure is an allegorical representation of Agriculture, one of the Iconologia originally published by Cesare Ripa in 1613. Possibly one of the SHR series.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: 21 Nederstraat, Amerongen, Utrechtse Heuvelrug, Netherlands.

  3. 1133

    amerongen,_21 nederstraat 05 515x770.jpg
    515 x 770 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead on fillet edging; flowers in a gadrooned vase upon a pedestal; arched rectangular border with fillet edging containing flowers descending from a ribbon bow; at the bottom, date; on top, symmetrical swirled foliage.

    Notes: The swirled foliage on top and the proportions of the fireback suggest an English origin.

    Inscription: 1723

    Manufactured: in 1723 in England.

    Current location: 21 Nederstraat, Amerongen, Utrechtse Heuvelrug, Netherlands.

  4. 215

    brighton_museum 07.jpg
    476 x 702 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with canted, cavetto-canted shoulders and bead edging on a broad fillet; seated female figure in a chariot drawn by dogs, symmetrical hanging drapery above right; same-shaped border with fillet edging at top, and suspended ribbons with floral bunches; at base, symmetrical palm leaves tied with ribbon; symmetrical serpents on top their tails intertwined.

    Notes: The design is derived from a personification of America, one of a set of playing cards entitled Jeu de la Géographie, designed by Stefano della Bella (1677). The pattern for this fireback, from which the protuberances above the serpents’ heads is missing, is in Rottingdean Grange. The pattern, however, has a base panel of a chain-link design, which is missing from this casting.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Brighton Museum and Art Gallery, Brighton, East Sussex, e.

    Museum number: HATMP002214 (part of the Brighton Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 27

    burwash,_batemans 05.jpg
    590 x 665 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with symmetrical scrolled ‘portico’ above, a flower vase between and circular discs at each end, symmetrical horizontal palm fronds below; pilaster with spiral design and Ionic capital on each side; central pictorial scene of a bagpiper with Elizabethan ruff and soft cap with feather in front of a vaulted ruin, on the right a flaming cauldron on a plinth.

    Notes: This seems to be pastiche using various elements derived from other firebacks, notably the moulding and scrolled top are from the Lenard fireback , and the palm fronds are from elsewhere. The figure may be adapted from a painting of a bagpiper by Abraham Bloemaert (1564-1651)

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in England.

    Current location: Bateman's, Burwash, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/BAT/M/167 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 813

    canons_ashby 02.jpg
    710 x 930 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead and fillet edging; two-handled vase with flowers issuing from it, a triple plume of ostrich feathers above, and in the bottom right corner the inscribed inscription, 'CofA' [Charteris of Amisfield]; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; central rose at top of arch with other flowers to each side; successive bunches of pears, grapes and apples descending down each side; inscription in relief in two rows along the bottom, with circular badges of the National Heritage Memorial Fund to left, and National Trust to right; on top, rope knotted in two loops, each containing half of the date in relief, with descending leaves and flowers on each side.

    Notes: This fireback was cast for Martin, Lord Charteris of Amisfield (1913-99), Trustee of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, from a pattern he designed and made, to commemorate the completion of restoration work to Canons Ashby.

    Inscription: 1984 / CofA / HAEC TABULA DOMUS IN- / STAURATAE FOCUM ORNAT [this plate adorns the hearth of a restored house]

    Manufactured: in 1984 in England.

    Current location: Canons Ashby, Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire, England.

    Museum number: NT/CAN/M/77 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  7. 222

    canons_ashby 04.jpg
    711 x 940 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with ‘nutshell’ edging on a broad fillet; crowned figure, holding a sceptre in his right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two horses with ostrich feather head-dresses; the whole upon a causeway with pilasters and masonry, and waves beneath; a heron flying to the left; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical, flower bunches, descending from a ribbon loop; monogram centre bottom, between plant tendrils; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils.

    Notes: The design is derived from a personification of Europe, one of a set of playing cards entitled 'Jeu de la Géographie', designed by Stefano della Bella (1677); a similarity with Queen Anne may not be coincidental; the flying heron has been copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Canons Ashby House, Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire, England.

    Museum number: NT/L/CAN/M/79 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 226

    cardiff,_st fagans 04.jpg
    660 x 900 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; central pedestal with a serpent fountain ringed with water, and two swans swimming, plants rising from the waves; above, swags of drapery with two central tassels; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a rose, top centre, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base, beteen date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single vertical plankline right of centre.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is taken from 'Nouveaux livres de ...Fontaines [etc.]' (La Haye & Amsterdam 1702-5) by Daniel Marot (1661-1752). Formerly at Allt-y-ferin, Nantgaredig, Carmarthenshire.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 62.156 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  9. 238

    cardiff,_st fagans 15.jpg
    612 x 830 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; crowned figure, holding a sceptre in his right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two, caparisoned horses with ostrich feather head-dresses; the whole upon a three-arched bridge with keystones and a string course, waves beneath; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical, descending oak leaf and acorn branches, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils and berries. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a series produced in the same year. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from a personification of Europe, one of a set of playing cards entitled Jeu de la Géographie, designed by Stefano della Bella for Louis XIV.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F81.233 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 240

    cardiff,_st fagans 17.jpg
    562 x 803 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; ground with birds, and trees behind; in the centre a circular fountain rim with a swan on a plinth surrounded by water, with jets of water rising from the swan’s mouth and descending on either side; above, a heron and a goose fly to the left; under the arch, swags of drapery; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a scallop shell, top centre, with a looed 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base between date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks, all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from an illustration in Labyrinthe de Versailles by Charles Perrault (1677); the flying heron is copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F83.116 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.