Firebacks

Manufactured in 1593

  1. 200

    baynards_park 01 jpg.jpg
    ?1870 x ?1020 mm

    Description: Composite; rectangular with semi-circular arches in middle (large) and ends (small) of top edge; rope on all edges except bottom; central panel effectively comprises an arched fireback form with Tudor royal arms (temp. Elizabeth I) with date above, and, below, letters G M, made from rope with fleur de lys terminals between two coronets surmounted by lions; below this are fronds with roses. On either side of this panel are placed the Anne Forster inscription panels; above each of these is a rose and crown with lion and dragon supporters, beneath which are three fleurs de lys. Along the base of the inscription panels and the central panel are single rows of ‘pineapple’ shapes, beneath which are repeated trailing vine decoration from impressed wooden strips across the entire width of the fireback; 35 in all.

    Notes: Formerly at Baynard's Park, Ewhurst, Surrey; GM probably refers to Sir George More, who built Baynards Park after buying the estate in 1587, and who moved to Loseley in 1604. The central coat of arms has been noted on two other firebacks, dated 1588 and 1595. The rose and crown stamps have been noted on a fireback in Haslemere Museum, and on examples illustrated by Lower (all of which bear the date 1582 and the initials IA). The association of these stamps and the particular form of rope lettering, with the Anne Forster inscription and the ‘pineapple’ shapes, both of which have been linked with other stamps from Pounsley furnace, suggests that they, too, were part of the stock of those works.

    Inscription: 15 93 / GM / HER : LIETH : ANE : FORST/ R : DAVGHTER : AND : / HEYR : TO : THOMAS : / GAYNSFORD : ESQVIER / DECEASED : XVIII : OF: / IANVARI : 1591 : LEAVYNG / BEHIND : HER II : SONES : / AND : V : DAVGHTERS [twice]

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in 1593 possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2018, 'The Anne Forster Firebacks', Surrey Archaeological Collections, 101, 99-114.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Manning, O. and Bray, W., 1809, History of Surrey Vol. II (London, John White), p. 369n.

  2. 1090

    ticehurst,_authentic reclamation 03.jpg
    >440 x >630 mm

    Description: Fragment; probably originally arched rectangular shape with twisted rope edging (only the arch and a section below surviving); below arch, band of repeated short stamps with undulating vine decoration, randomly impressed so that the undulations do not join consistently; above the band, line of ?crowned cross stamps repeated five times; above them, the date (the 3 uncertain) between two vertically-aligned stamps formed of a double figure-of-eight between opposed concave curves; above, a rose stamp between two vertical rectangular stamps of indeterminate design, with a ?crowned rose stamp above; below the band, a line of alternate rose and ?crowned cross stamps, three of each; below, a ?crowned cross stamp and a rectangular stamp.

    Notes: Most of the stamps have been seen on a small group of firebacks of the 1590s concentrated in the western Weald.

    Inscription: 1593[?]

    Manufactured: in 1593 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Ticehurst, East Sussex, England.