Description: Quasi-rectangular shape (42.5mm wider at the bottom); border formed of strips carved with an undulating vine (top and sides); successive rows of repeated stamps: (from top) 18 'hops' or 'grape bunches' in line, horizontal fillet with line of beads below, line of vine strips, 5 birds (probably swans, a Lancastrian badge) in line with 'hops'/'grape bunches' at top and bottom of gaps, line of vine strips, line of beads with horizontal fillet below, 17 'hops'/'grape bunches' in line, and line of vine strips (partially obscured by what appears to be the repeated pressing of finger tips into the casting sand to form an extension at the base).
Notes: One of a series of firebacks incorporating the use of the undulating vine strip, and the 'swan' stamp. This may be a recasting produced by the firm of Charles Wayte & Cheverton, formerly of Edenbridge, Kent, as a similar back was illustrated in their catalogue.
Current location: in private hands, Goudhurst, Kent, England.
Description: Rectangular; undulating vine tendril edging (top and upper sides); eight circular, fleur-de-lys butter mould stamps alternating (except at left end) with six rectangular, fleur-de-lys and leaf shortbread or gingerbread stamps, in a line along the top; six bird stamps (wings displayed and inverted) alternating with five pairs of butter mould stamps, as above; continuous line of horizontal vine strips; six descending vine strips, interspaced unevenly with eight butter mould stamps, in pairs except for rightmost two.
Notes: The bird (probably a swan, a Lancastrian badge) and vine strip stamps are encountered on several firebacks. In 1868 this fireback was recorded at Tickeridge, West Hoathly, Sussex.
Current location: Nymans, Staplefield Road, Handcross, Slaugham, West Sussex, England.
Museum number: NT/NYM/M/23 (part of the National Trust museum group)
Description: Sub-rectangular fragment; undulating vine tendril strip repeated twice vertically from left edge with a bird stamp (probably a swan, a Lancastrian badge) repeated three times between, interspersed with a grape cluster stamp repeated seven times; vine tendril stamp repeated twice horizontally at right angles to rightmost vertical strip, three bird stamps between strips and two above, interspersed with seven grape cluster stamps.
Notes: This fragment incorporates common elements from a large series of firebacks.
Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: LH000.924 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)
Description: Quasi-rectangular; edging formed of repeated bordered strip with undulating vine with fruit and leaves; horizontal line of two uneavenly repeated vine strips dividing the plate into two compartments, the upper comprising a grape bunch repeated eighteen times, the lower comprising a bird (probably a swan, a Lancastrian badge), its head turned to its left and one visible wing displayed and inverted, repeated five times with a grape bunch repeated twelve times at the ends and between each swan on the top and bottom of the compartment.
Notes: The vine strip, swan and grape bunch stamps feature on many firebacks indicating a common source. Illustration from Lloyd, 1925.