Firebacks

970mm tall

  1. 874

    chastleton_house.jpg
    710 x 970 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with ovolo linking curves and eyelet astragal edging; pictorial scene of Delilah, seated above a pavement, supervising the cutting of Samson's hair by a barber, a putto to the left and a small figure lower right; drapery above; arched rectangular border with ovolo linking curves and fillet edging; symmetrical pattern of plant tendrils with leaves and seed pods; at bottom, monogram 'EB' in a cartouche between symmetrical leaves and ears of wheat; on top, two mirrored sea serpents.

    Notes: One of a small series of firebacks identified by the EB monogram; the pictorial scene is of Delilah and the sleeping Samson with a Philistine cutting his hair; the scene may be based on an engraving by the Dutch artist Philip Galle (1537-1612) after a painting by Maerten van Heemskerck.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: EB

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Chastleton House, Chastleton, Oxfordshire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 1045

    marc_maison 02.jpg
    790 x 970 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; top centre, oval shield of arms within a cartouche, supported by two unicorns rampant reguardant, their hooves resting on a scrolled compartment; behind the shield is the cape of the Président à mortier of the Parliament; above the shield, a velvet cap or mortar board of office within a coronet.

    Notes: Blazon: azure, on a maltese cross argent a chevron gules between two mullets sable, and in base a rose gules. Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis de Saint-Fargeau (1760-93) was a French parliamentarian. Having voted for the execution of Louis XVI Lepeletier was assassinated by a former guard of the king. The fireback dates from 1789 or later when Lepeletier was elected Président à mortier.

    Arms: Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis de Saint-Fargeau

    Manufactured: in the late 18th century in France.

    Current location: 120 Rue de Rosiers, Saint Ouen, Seine-Saint-Denis, France.