Firebacks

Foreign armorial firebacks

36 results

  1. 145

    amonines.jpg
    635 x 755 mm

    Description: Arched shape; cavetto moulded edging; shield, crown, tassels and ribbons, of the combined kingdom of Castille, Aragon, Leon and Sicily.

    Notes: Probably the arms of King Charles V of Spain; quarterly (1 & 4) Castille and Leon, (2 & 3) Aragon and Aragon-Sicily.

    Inscription: 15 [?]0

    Arms: Royal House of Trastámara (Spain)

    Manufactured: in 1550 probably at Eisenschmitt furnace in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: in private hands, Érezée, Luxembourg, Belgium.

  2. 627

    ashbourne_660x780.jpg
    660 x 780 mm

    Description: Arched shape; cavetto moulded edge; double-headed eagle displayed, a Holy Roman Imperial crown above; in front, a quartered shield; a flaming pillar on each side, a motto scroll entwining each.

    Notes: The shield bears the arms of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (reigned 1519-1556), king of Spain and nephew of Katherine of Aragon, Queen of England; the pillars are a symbolic representation of the Pillars of Hercules at the Strait of Gibraltar. Some variants of this fireback do not include a date.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: PLVS OVLTRE [Further Beyond]

    Arms: Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

    Manufactured: in 1552 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England.

  3. 810

    bray,_ockwells manor 02.jpg
    805 x 654 mm

    Description: Rectangular; carved strip with undulating vine between fillets, repeated on each side; carved inscription panel along top edge; centre, two traceried panels, each with a central shield beneath a gothic arch.

    Notes: One of several similar firebacks produced in the same period.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: JHESUS MARIA JHONES

    Manufactured: in the early 16th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: in private hands, Cox Green, Berkshire, England.

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  4. 243

    chailey,_woodbrooks farm 03.jpg
    642 x 690 mm

    Description: Upon a rectangular base plinth, wide scrolled side fillets with foliage about the scrolls and suspended bell flowers in chain above; central cartouche behind an oval shield bearing three fleurs-de-lys surmounted by a French royal crown; on top, an arch rising from horizontal moulding on each side.

    Notes: Characteristic of designs illustrated by architects such as Daniel Marot.

    Arms: French royal

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in France.

    Current location:, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Carpentier, H., 1912, Plaques de Cheminées, Paris.

  5. 957

    chateau_de duras.jpg
    ~914 x ~940 mm

    Description: Upon a rectangular base plinth, an arched rectangular, ovolo-moulded panel containing a draped cloth (disclosing on the reverse the arms of Duras) upon which two oval shields are surmounted by a ducal coronet, and encircled by the collars of the Orders of St Michel and Saint-Esprit. Behind the cloth are crossed batons of a Marshal of France; on each side are flattened S-scrolls with tassels.

    Notes: In all probability the arms of Jean-Baptiste de Durfort, Duc de Duras (1684-1770), created Marshal of France in 1741.

    Arms: Durfort, duc de Duras

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century in France.

    Current location: Chateau de Duras, Duras, Lot-et-Garonne, France.

  6. 1025

    crowther_04.jpg
    ~1000 x ~807 mm

    Description: Quasi-rectangular shape; top, crowned robed statuary figure holding a book, repeated three times, interspersed with a naked child statuary figure playing a flute; bottom, shield and coronet to left, small shield, helm and crest to right, all between a crude dog figure repeated on each side; the whole plate dotted randomly with a repeated small gadrooned bead stamp.

    Notes: The figures are from wall-mounted statuary. The shield and coronet are those of the Duchy of Lorraine prior to 1538; blazon: Quarterly, 1. barry of eight gules and argent (Hungary) impaling azure semy-de-lis Or a label gules (Naples); 2. argent a cross potent and four crosslets Or (Jerusalem) impaling Or four pallets gules (Aragon); 3. azure semy-de-lis Or a bordure gules (Valois-Anjou); 4. azure crusilly fitchy, two barbels addorsed Or (Bar); overall an inescutcheon Or a bend gules three alerions argent (Lorraine). The figure holding the book is that of St Catherine of Siena (see von den Driesch, pp. 220, 222).

    Arms: Duchy of Lorraine

    Manufactured: in the early 16th century in the Lorraine area of Germany.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  7. 1030

    crowther_06.jpg
    ~870 x ~107 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape upon a moulded plinth; on a background comprising foliate swirls, a central shield, helm, coronet and elaborate mantling, with a crest of a forward facing centaur armed with a drawn bow pointed to the sinister side, and behind which are six pennons, three each side display in a v-shape; to the left, a triumph comprising a drum, draped flag on pole, concealing an arquebus, halberd and breastplate, and a broad-brimmed hat with feather; to the right, a triumph comprising a drum, a breast plate and tassets, a powder horn, and partially concealed arquebus, sword and spear, and a broad-brimmed hat with feather; at the base, a horizontal fillet with scrolled ends and squatting 'rodents'.

    Notes: An uncharacteristic fireback probably designed and cast for whoever the arms relate to. A variant without the base plinth and 'rodents' is in the collection of Museum Rotterdam (inv. 15224).

    Inscription: ANNO 1647

    Manufactured: in 1647 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location:.

  8. 938

    hennell_01.jpg
    850 x 695 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three-facetted arch; fillet edging; shield, crown and lion supporters of the French royal house of Valois.

    Notes: The arms date to before 1589 when the House of Valois was succeeded by the House of Bourbon. Lion supporters on the French royal arms are not common.

    Arms: France Royal

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in France.

    Current location: in private hands, Ewhurst, Surrey, England.

  9. 939

    hennell_02.jpg
    673 x 710 mm

    Description: Rectangular with triangular top; ovolo-moulded edging; shield and crown of the French royal house of Valois, encircled by the collars of the orders of Saint Michel and Saint-Esprit

    Notes: Cast no later than 1589 when the House of Valois was succeeded by the House of Bourbon.

    Arms: France Royal

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in France.

    Current location: in private hands, Ewhurst, Surrey, England.

  10. 940

    hennell_03b.jpg
    780 x 890 mm

    Description: Upon a rectangular base plinth, wide scrolled side fillets with foliage about the scrolls and suspended bell flowers in chain above; central oval shield bearing three fleurs-de-lys supported by an angel on each side, and surmounted by a French royal crown; on top, an arch rising from horizontal moulding on each side.

    Notes: Characteristic of designs illustrated by architects such as Daniel Marot.

    Arms: France Royal

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in France.

    Current location: in private hands, Ewhurst, Surrey, England.