Firebacks

684mm wide

  1. 576

    greenwich,_national maritime museum 01.jpg
    684 x 732 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; stepped fillet edging; in the arch, two putti holding a wreath from which hang two swags of drapery which, passing through rings in each top corner of the plate, terminate in large tassels comprising fruit and flowers, which reach nearly to the bottom of the plate; at the bottom, the date in a central cartouche surmounted by a scallop shell, between the two initials.

    Notes: The space in the middle of the plate is available for further decoration.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: G / 1687 / S

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, England.

    Museum number: AAA3478 (part of the National Maritime Museum museum group)

  2. 583

    petworth_062.jpg
    684 x 783 mm

    Description: Arch-shaped, with rounded-arched extension at top; cavetto moulded edge all round; five vertical planklines; arms of the Francis (or Franceis) family of Derbyshire: Argent a Chevron gules between three Eagles displayed of the same; Crest: an eagle displayed on a crowned knight’s helm; initials in bottom corners; date below shield.

    Notes: Probably the arms of Sir Edward Francis, who was Seneschal of the Petworth House estate and took overall charge in 1606 when the 9th Earl of Northumberland was committed to the Tower of London for his involvement in the Gunpowder Plot.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: E 1606 F

    Arms: Sir Edward Francis

    Manufactured: in 1606 probably at Frith (Northchapel) furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/41.1 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.