Firebacks

Manufactured in the late 19th century

  1. 814

    canons_ashby 03.jpg
    750 x 1010 mm

    Description: Inclined arched rectangular shape' bevelled fillet edging; cartouche shield of the arms of the baronetcy of Dryden of Canons Ashby.

    Arms: Dryden family, probably Sir Henry Edward Leigh Dryden Bt.

    Manufactured: in the late 19th century in England.

    Current location: Canons Ashby, Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire, England.

    Museum number: NT/L/CAN/M/78 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 483

    maresfield,_putmans farm 03.jpg
    900 x 800 mm

    Description: Plain plate with scrolled side edges; canted arched rectangular astragal and fillet top moulding; central shield, crest and motto of the hardy family.

    Inscription: ARMEE DE FOI HARDI

    Arms: Hardy

    Manufactured: in the late 19th century at Low Moor furnace in the Yorkshire area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Maresfield, East Sussex, England.

  3. 506

    parham_001.jpg
    920 x 1070 mm

    Description: Plain rectangular shield with sloping edges; shield helm and crest of Sir Weetman Pearson Bt.: Per fess indented gules and or, between two suns in splendour in chief an escutcheon bearing a baronet's badge, and a demi-gryphon couped wings elevated and addorsed in base all counterchanged; crest: in front of a demi-gryphon as in the arms, holding between the claws a mill-stone proper, thereon a mill-rind sable, a sun in splendour.

    Notes: Sir Weetman Pearson, later Viscount Cowdray, was created Baronet in 1894 and Baron in 1910, the fireback thus dates from the period 1894-1910. The motto - Do it with thy might - is from Ecclesiates 9: 10.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: DO IT WITH THY MIGHT

    Arms: Sir Weetman Pearson Bt

    Manufactured: in the late 19th century in England.

    Current location: Parham House, Parham, West Sussex, England.

  4. 772

    va_48.jpg
    520 x 565 mm

    Description: Cavetto canted arched rectangle; astragal edging; oval inscription surrounding a central battlemented shield bearing an open book, with a baronet's escutcheon above; above, a helm with a crest of an arm and hand holding a wreath; on each side, a druid supporter holding a harp, each upon a horizontal fillet; below, intertwined bell flowers behind a tripartite motto scroll.

    Notes: The motto appears to have been incorrectly spelled; the Conroy baronetcy was created for Sir John Conroy, comptroller of the household of the Duchess of Kent, and much hated by her daughter, Princess (later Queen) Victoria; the 3rd (and last) baronet succeeded to the title in 1869.

    Inscription: FIDELITER ET CONSTANTER [Faithfully and constantly] / L'ANTIQIVITE NE PEVX PAS L'ABOLIR [Antiquity cannot abolish it]

    Arms: Conroy, baronet, of Llanbrynmair (Sir John Conroy, 3rd baronet, 1845-1900)

    Manufactured: in the late 19th century in England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 502.1896 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)