Firebacks

750mm wide

15 results

  1. 1212

    amerongen,_21_nederstraat_07_750x1000.jpg
    750 x 1000 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; wickerwork Garden of Holland (Hollandse Tuin) within which is seated a berobed female figure holding a cap of freedom on the end of a long pole; before her is the crowned heraldic lion of the States General of the Netherlands, clutching a sheaf of arrows in its left front paw; above are the words, Pro Patria; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; central cartouche at top, with festoons of fruit, flowers and leaves suspended on each side from ribbons supported by rings; at the bottom, swirled ribbon around an oval compartment bearing the inscription 'L6C'; on top, a central cartouche from which descend a cornucopia on each side of the arch.

    Notes: An overtly patriotic theme with symbols of Dutch nationhood; the inscription at the bottom indicates the style of border; other firebacks with the same inscription have the same border; similar inscriptions (e.g. L7C and L8G) indicate different borders.

    Inscription: PRO PATRIA / L6C

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: 21 Nederstraat, Amerongen, Utrechtse Heuvelrug, Netherlands.

  2. 603

    banbury_750x620.jpg
    750 x 620 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped, the arch linked to the rectangle by cavetto curves; cavetto edging ending in two opposed spirals at top; initials below spirals; date below initials; otherwise plain.

    Notes: Probably cast from a carved, edged board, with the initials and date added separately. A copy.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: IH / 1678

    Manufactured: in 1678 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Banbury, Oxfordshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 399

    bridgewater_collection 10.jpg
    750 x 655 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging with inverted fleur-de-lys at top; lion passant guardant, with rose to the left and thistle above tail; date split between legs; single horizontal plank-line.

    Notes: The boldness of the figuration suggests association with firebacks possibly cast at Brede Furnace in the same period.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1 6 5 6

    Manufactured: in 1656 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

  4. 814

    canons_ashby 03.jpg
    750 x 1010 mm

    Description: Inclined arched rectangular shape' bevelled fillet edging; cartouche shield of the arms of the baronetcy of Dryden of Canons Ashby.

    Arms: Dryden family, probably Sir Henry Edward Leigh Dryden Bt.

    Manufactured: in the late 19th century in England.

    Current location: Canons Ashby, Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire, England.

    Museum number: NT/L/CAN/M/78 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  5. 235

    cardiff,_st fagans 12.jpg
    750 x 645 mm

    Description: Fragment; canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre; a fleur-de-lys stamp repeated three times vertically down left side, probably mirrored on right side (top fleur visible).

    Notes: Use of the same stamps indicates a common source with a variant dated 1692.

    Inscription: 1694

    Manufactured: in 1694 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 61.49/3 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  6. 1179

    eton_college.jpg
    750 x 860 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal and fillet edging (top and sides); central shield with arms of Eton College, surmounted by a small tilting shield of the pre-1603 Royal arms of England (France modern quartering England) aslant beneath a crown; to each side a spray of lilies; below, a scroll bearing the motto - Esto Perpetua; bottom left the date MCMXCII; bottom right, a panel bearing the phrase C of A and [?].

    Notes: The motto Esto Perpetua means Let it be perpetual. Fireback designed by and made for Martin, Lord Charteris of Armisfield, who was Provost of Eton College 1978-91. One of a set of two cast for the college.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ESTO PERPETUA / MCMXCII C of A [Charteris of Armisfield]

    Arms: Eton College

    Manufactured: in 1992 in England.

    Current location: Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England.

    Museum number: FDA-A.238:2-2013 (part of the Eton College museum group)

  7. 363

    lamberhurst,_scotney castle 06.jpg
    750 x 615 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped, the arch linked to the rectangle by cavetto curves; cavetto edging ending in two opposed spirals at top; initials below spirals; date below initials; otherwise plain.

    Notes: Probably cast from a carved, edged board, with the initials and date added separately.

    Inscription: I or F H / 1698

    Manufactured: in 1698 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst, Kent, England.

    Museum number: NT/SCO/oc/M/202 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 389

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 024.jpg
    750 x 590 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; plain edge with inset astragal on all sides; stylised buckle surmounted by an earl’s coronet between the two halves of the date.

    Notes: The buckle is the badge of the Pelham family and the earl’s coronet may refer to the Earldom of Clare to which Thomas Pelham-Holles, 2nd Baron Pelham of Laughton was raised in 1714. The following year he was created Marquess of Clare and Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: 17 15

    Manufactured: in 1715 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.084 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  9. 474

    lower_3b.png
    >750 x ~750 mm

    Description: Fragment; arched rectangular shape with rounded corners; ovolo within fillet moulding all round; oval Tudor royal shield with garter surrounding, topped with a royal crown; dragon and greyhound supporters; initials split by crown; inscription on a fillet between legs of supporters, behind garter finial; motto on an Ionic plinth at bottom; left hand rectangular extension panel with twisted rope edging on top and side: initials in top left corner, ‘dragon’s head’ in top right corner, rose-en-soleil stamp in centre, rose stamp bottom centre.

    Notes: The letters on the extension panel are the same form and size as those on the top of the armorial pattern, indicating that they were added to the armorial, perhaps to indicate a change of reign. The letter 'E' has also been noted on another fireback of the same series. The rose-en-soleil was the badge of King Edward IV and, thus, a Yorkist symbol; it is seen on other firebacks.

    Inscription: E R / E / R / HONY SOIT QUE MAL Y PAYNCE / Made in Sussex by John Harvo / DV ET MOVN DR...

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1849, 'Iron Works of the County of Sussex', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2, pp. 169-220 (esp. pp. 188-9).

  10. 498

    midhurst,_cowdray house 01.jpg
    <750 x 765 mm

    Description: Arched plate; ovolo moulding edging; shield, supporters, coronet, helm, crest and motto of Viscount Montague; quarterly Browne, Albini, Fitzalan, Fitzalan of Clare, Warren, Maltravers, Nevill, Montagu, Monthermer, Inglethorpe, Burghe, Delapole, Bradeston, Tiptoft, Charleton and Kent (Plantagenet); supporters: two bears collared and chained; the crest: an eagle, the wings elevated and displayed.

    Notes: The arms of either the 2nd (Anthony-Maria Browne, succ. 1592-1629) or 3rd viscount (Francis Browne succ. 1629-1682) - the 1st viscount was a Knight of the Garter and no garter is shown; the style of the modelling bears similarities to that on the 1618 series of firebacks and may be the work of the same pattern-maker.

    Inscription: VERITATE DUCE [Be led by Truth]

    Arms: Viscount Montague

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Cowdray House, Midhurst, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.