Description: Arched rectangular shaped; fillet edging; a lion rampant
Notes: Whole pattern. A modern design of fireback
Copies of this fireback are known.
Current location: St Mary's House, Bramber, West Sussex, England.
- Attached to series:
- Miscellaneous pattern firebacks
Description: Arched shape with ovolo-moulded edging; central shield with the English royal Tudor arms and escutcheon of a lion rampant, surrounded by a Garter with an incorrect inscription, the shield surmounted by a crown and supported on the dexter side by a dragon and on the sinister side by a greyhound; to the left of the crown, a crowned rose and the the right, a crowned portcullis; above the supporters the date 1614 is split by the shield; below, split by the Garter buckle, initials GB.
Notes: The arms are of Henry VII or Henry VIII, the inescutcheon probably representing a marriage to an heiress, but are anachronistic as the date was in the reign of James I (and VI). The initials GB are believed to relate to Gilles or Georges Boniver, who worked at the foundry at Theux, near Liège, and whose initials appear on several firebacks. The fireback is thought to be a 19th-century copy.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Inscription: 16 14 / HONI SOIT IL QVIMAL I PANSE / G B
Arms: English royal Tudor with an inescutcheon of a lion rampant
Current location: M-Museum Leuven, 28-30 Leopold Vanderkelenstraat, Leuven, Brabant, Belgium.
(part of the Leuven Museum museum group)
Description: Fragment; left part of rectangle; twisted rope border (top and sides); long, narrow stamp with undulating vine motif, repeated three times in ‘A’ shape with top bar; short length of same strip repeated six times, one across middle of ‘A’, two each side of ‘A’ at top, one lower right; indistinct stamp with swirled floral design between lower legs of ‘A’.
Notes: The same vine strip stamp is seen, in both long and short lengths, on many firebacks, indicating a common source. All the stamps probably were derived from redundant furniture.
Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: LH000.913 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)
Description: Arched rectangular central panel; fillet edging; pictorial scene of a phoenix rising from a fire; above right, a human mask at the centre of a sunburst; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, the date between initials along the bottom; down each side, a floral festoon hanging from a ring; over the arch, the inscription; on top, floral scrolls.
Notes: The inscription translates as 'out of death, immortality'; the initials NL are likely to be those of the pattern maker. Skinner's, Marlborough, Massachusetts, auction 14 Aug 2016 lot 226.
Inscription: EX MORTE IMMORTALITAS / N 1696 L
Current location:, United States of America.
Description: Cavetto canted arched rectangle; astragal edging; oval inscription surrounding a central battlemented shield bearing an open book, with a baronet's escutcheon above; above, a helm with a crest of an arm and hand holding a wreath; on each side, a druid supporter holding a harp, each upon a horizontal fillet; below, intertwined bell flowers behind a tripartite motto scroll.
Notes: The motto appears to have been incorrectly spelled; the Conroy baronetcy was created for Sir John Conroy, comptroller of the household of the Duchess of Kent, and much hated by her daughter, Princess (later Queen) Victoria; the 3rd (and last) baronet succeeded to the title in 1869.
Inscription: FIDELITER ET CONSTANTER [Faithfully and constantly] / L'ANTIQIVITE NE PEVX PAS L'ABOLIR [Antiquity cannot abolish it]
Arms: Conroy, baronet, of Llanbrynmair (Sir John Conroy, 3rd baronet, 1845-1900)
Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.
Museum number: 502.1896 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)
Description: Rectangular; rope edging on top and sides; central inscription panel; repeated trailing vine decoration from impressed wooden strips — one horizontal line at top, one vertical strip at each side.
Notes: The inscription panel is identical to that on the memorial plate to Anne Forster in Crowhurst church, Surrey; at least ten other firebacks are known with the same inscription panel. Formerly at Stonelands, West Hoathly.
Inscription: HER : LIETH : ANE : FORST/ R : DAVGHTER : AND : / HEYR : TO : THOMAS : / GAYNSFORD : ESQVIER / DECEASED : XVIII : OF: / IANVARI : 1591 : LEAVYNG / BEHIND : HER II : SONES : / AND : V : DAVGHTERS
Current location: The Old Parsonage, North Lane, West Hoathly, West Sussex, England.