Manufactured in the mid to late 19th century

  1. 1134

    dreweatts,_newbury 5 jun 2019 lot 183 530x740.jpg
    530 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal edging; central, vertically orientated, rectangular design comprising four circular copmpartments each containing a shield, surrounding an oval central compartment containing a castle surmounted by a crest of a hand between leafy branches all emerging from a mural crown, above is a crescent mark of cadency; the compartments are set within ears of corn with a flower head top and bottom centre.

    Notes: The central design is a cast of the pattern for two panels, one on each of the pedestals of the outward-facing main columns on the Norwich Gates at Sandringham House, Norfolk. The shields are of Norfolk towns: (top left) Norwich, (top right) Great Yarmouth, (bottom left) King's Lynn, and (bottom right) Thetford. The central arms are those used by the county of Norfolk (before its official grant of arms in 1904) with the crest of the then Sheriff, Robert John Harvey of Crown Point Norwich. The gates were designed by Thomas Jeckyll and made by Messrs Barnard, Bishop and Barnard of Norwich for the International Exhibition at South Kensington in 1862. With some modifications, including the addition of the panel on the fireback, the gates were given by the people of Norfolk to the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) as a wedding gift in 1863. The design on the fireback was impressed into the mould from a panel originally used in the casting of the gates. Lot 183, Dreweatts sale, Newbury, 5 June 2019.

    Arms: City of Norwich, Borough of Great Yarmouth, Borough of King's Lynn, Borough of Thetford, County of Norfolk

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century probably at Norfolk Ironworks, Norwich, in the Norfolk area of England.

    Current location: Donnington Priory, Newbury, Berkshire, England.

  2. 1237

    560 x 610 mm

    Description: Low-arched rectangular shape; cavetto-moulded edging (top and sides); top centre, shield, crest and motto of William Wood (1806-88), Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway.

    Notes: The blazon: Per chevron Argent and Or, a chevron counter-embattled between three mullets gules; crest: a talbot's head erased Or; motto: Semper Vigilans - Always Vigilant.

    Inscription: SEMPER VIGILANS

    Arms: William Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century in Scotland.

    Current location: Norfolk Antique and Reclamation Centre, Woolseys Farm, Salhouse Road, Panxworth, Norfolk, England.

  3. 821

    610 x 735 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; shield, crest and motto in relief in a recessed arched rectangle.

    Notes: The arms are of Weston, of West Horsley, Surrey: Sable, a chevron or between three leopards heads erased argent crowned or and langued gules; crest: a wolf passant ducally gorged or; motto: Gloria sat Deus unus - God alone is sufficient glory; the Westons were at West Horsley Place from the mid 18th century.

    Inscription: GLORIA SAT DEUS UNUS

    Arms: Weston family of West Horsley, Surrey

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century in England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.