Firebacks

740mm tall

12 results

  1. 28

    burwash,_batemans 06.jpg
    665 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular with pediment raised on inverted consoles; ovolo, egg and dart edging; shield, garter, helm, mantling, crest and motto of the English House of Stuart; date split either side of garter buckle.

    Notes: One of several firebacks, all of the same date, but varying in size, framing style and moulding; all have stylistic features in common and will have been the work of the same pattern maker, who was also responsible for carving royal coats of arms in three West Country churches.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HONY SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / 16 18 / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James I)

    Manufactured: in 1618 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Bateman's, Burwash, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/BAT/M/215 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2017, 'Church Armorials and Firebacks: Evidence of an Early 17th-Century Woodcarver', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 135, pp. 213-223.

  2. 268

    dawson_04.jpg
    ~730 x ~740 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto moulded edging; shield, garter, coronet, helm, crest, supporters and motto of Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham.

    Notes: The arms are those of George Villiers (1592-1628), created Duke of Buckingham in 1623. Blazon: Quarterly 1, Villiers (modern) - argent, on a cross gules five scallops or; 2, Villiers (ancient) - sable, a fess between three cinquefoils argent; 3, Pakeman - gules, a chevron between three crosses botonnee fitchee argent; 4, Bellers - per pale gules and sable, a lion rampant argent crowned or; 5, Hoby - azure, a bend between six mullets argent; 6, Kirkby - argent, a cross between two annulets vert.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HONI SOIT QVY MAL Y PENSE / FIDEI COTICULA CRUX [The cross is the touchstone of faith]

    Arms: George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in England.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  3. 1134

    dreweatts,_newbury 5 jun 2019 lot 183 530x740.jpg
    530 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal edging; central, vertically orientated, rectangular design comprising four circular copmpartments each containing a shield, surrounding an oval central compartment containing a castle surmounted by a crest of a hand between leafy branches all emerging from a mural crown, above is a crescent mark of cadency; the compartments are set within ears of corn with a flower head top and bottom centre.

    Notes: The central design is a cast of the pattern for two panels, one on each of the pedestals of the outward-facing main columns on the Norwich Gates at Sandringham House, Norfolk. The shields are of Norfolk towns: (top left) Norwich, (top right) Great Yarmouth, (bottom left) King's Lynn, and (bottom right) Thetford. The central arms are those used by the county of Norfolk (before its official grant of arms in 1904) with the crest of the then Sheriff, Robert John Harvey of Crown Point Norwich. The gates were designed by Thomas Jeckyll and made by Messrs Barnard, Bishop and Barnard of Norwich for the International Exhibition at South Kensington in 1862. With some modifications, including the addition of the panel on the fireback, the gates were given by the people of Norfolk to the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) as a wedding gift in 1863. The design on the fireback was impressed into the mould from a panel originally used in the casting of the gates. Lot 183, Dreweatts sale, Newbury, 5 June 2019.

    Arms: City of Norwich, Borough of Great Yarmouth, Borough of King's Lynn, Borough of Thetford, County of Norfolk

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century probably at Norfolk Ironworks, Norwich, furnace in the Norfolk area of England.

    Current location: Donnington Priory, Newbury, Berkshire, England.

  4. 72

    grayswood,_clammer hill house.jpg
    1118 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with stepped angles; twisted rope edging (top and sides); small flower bud stamp repeated inside edging, with ‘pineapple’ stamp repeated inside; lower part comprises three concentric half-rectangles formed from undulating vine strips and repeated ‘pineapple’ stamp; above, three vertical vine strips with parallel ‘pineapple’ stamps, human face stamps above them; two diagonal vine strips below the vertical strips.

    Notes: A most remarkable fireback, incorporating stamps seen on other firebacks.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Grayswood, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 163

    hastings_046.jpg
    545 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with fillet edging; tall, arched central panel with bead edging (top and sides); flying bird in arch, with two small trees below, and two figures, one with a staff in his right hand, and a dog, at the bottom; two side panels with similar cascades of flowers; narrow base panel with fillet edging and symmetrical floral arrangement; on top, a scallop shell between two symmetrical lines of trailing flowers.

    Notes: Probably an English design based on the 'Dutch' style.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.31 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  6. 950

    horsted_keynes,_broadhurst_01a.jpg
    1010 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date top centre.

    Notes: The style of the numerals is identical to those seen on another fireback, indicating a common source.

    Inscription: 1658

    Manufactured: in 1658 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Horsted Keynes, West Sussex, England.

  7. 1156

    lacock_abbey_01.jpg
    920 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; stylised twisted rope edging; centred, 'C & G' above 'S' above '1929', all between four stylised rope saltires.

    Notes: A twentieth century fireback designed and executed in a traditional form.

    Inscription: C & G / S / 1929

    Manufactured: in 1929 in England.

    Current location: Lacock Abbey, Lacock, Wiltshire, England.

    Museum number: 1545478 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  8. 392

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 026.jpg
    905 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulding on all sides, with short gaps at each end of the base (possibly to accommodate firedogs); date in top corners; shield, supporters, coronet and motto of the Barony of Bergavenny: Gules, on a saltire argent, a rose of the field, barbed and seeded proper. The motto, ‘Ne vile velis’ (Wish nothing base) is a pun on the family name.

    Notes: The arms are those of William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny, of Kidbrooke Park, Forest Row, Sussex. The date of the fireback coincides with the completion of the mansion.

    Inscription: 1736 / NE VILE VELIS

    Arms: William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny

    Manufactured: in 1736 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.086 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hughes, G. B., 1955, 'Old English Firebacks', Country Life, 117, 21 April, pp. 1056-60.

  9. 438

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 078a.jpg
    600 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three sided arch; astragal edging; lion rampant crest beaneath a crown; the date split either side of the lion's head.

    Notes: The evenness of the casting, the form of the crown and the lion all suggest that the date is spurious.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 39

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 20th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  10. 442

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 082.jpg
    >680 x 740 mm

    Description: Fragment: right part only; rectangular; twisted rope edging; lion passant with rose stamped twice above and below rear end, crowned rose below fore end; bottom right corner, two small walking figures, one with both arms down, the other with right arm raised.

    Notes: One of a series with the same and other stamps.

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH001.005 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)