Firebacks

Date & initials firebacks

161 results

  1. 1165

    trefriw,_gwydir_castle_03.jpg
    686 x 610 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; braided rope edging (top and sides); top centre, initials 'TSE' in triad, above centred date.

    Notes: The use of braided rope edging is unusual. The fireback was formerly in a house in Westmoreland associated with the Salkeld family.

    Inscription: TSE [triad] / 1612

    Manufactured: in 1612 in England.

    Current location: Gwydir Castle, Trefriw, Conwy, Wales.

  2. 1254

    unknown_112_buckingham_914x724.jpg
    914 x 724 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top, and sides short of bottom), with shoulder edging extending into base of arch; upper centre, date '1602' slanting down to right; below date, initials 'IPD' in triad.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of a couple whose surname begins with 'P'.

    Inscription: 1602 / I P D [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1602 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

  3. 872

    unknown_55 1194x724.jpg
    1194 x 724 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; rebated fillet edging (top and sides); word 'BERSHAM' (AM ligature)in arch; initials triad 'C LL S' (LL ligature) in left shoulder; date on two lines in right shoulder.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of Charles Lloyd of Dolobran, Montgomeryshire, and Sarah (née Crowley) his wife. Lloyd ran Bersham Furnace, near Wrexham, from 1710 until 1728. Smelting iron with coke began at Bersham in 1721, so it is likely that this fireback was made of coke-smelted iron.

    Inscription: BERSHAM / LL 17 / C S 22

    Manufactured: in 1722 at Bersham Furnace in the North Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: Wrexham Museum, Wrexham, Clwyd, Wales.

    (part of the Wrexham County Borough Museums museum group)

  4. 956

    unknown_75.jpg
    991 x 619 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging; date along the top; initials in triad across the middle; fleur-de-lys stamp repeated eight times down each side, pointing to the side or up in the order (from the top): side (2), then alternately, up first.

    Notes: The initials probably represent those of a married couple, the 'H' for their surname; it is unusual for twisted rope edging to continue along the bottom of the plate.

    Inscription: 1626 / RHL

    Manufactured: in 1626 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: not known.

  5. 982

    unknown_82 720x900.jpg
    720 x 900 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with demi-bullnose edging (top and sides); 'AD' curved in arch, with straight date below; central letter 'H' in the form of a horse's bit, with initials 'F' and 'J' respectively above and below; two lengths of rope with tasselled ends looped and tied symmetrically around the 'H' and on each side.

    Notes: A finely moulded personal fireback with an equestrian connection.

    Inscription: AD / 1909 / HFJ

    Manufactured: in 1909 in England.

    Current location: not known.

  6. 725

    upper_beeding, 1725 cottage.jpg
    890 x 520 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle with twisted rope edging; uneven, individually stamped letters and numerals, the initials separating the two parts of the date, which are raised slightly higher; dots are stamped on each side of each half of the date and between the initials; a twisted rope saltire at each end of the inscription.

    Notes: The plate above the inscription is a repair, as are the rivets either side of the crack.

    Inscription: ·16· M · N ·59·

    Manufactured: in 1659 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Upper Beeding, West Sussex, England.

  7. 771

    va_47.jpg
    730 x >590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with triangular pediment; stepped fillet and ogee moulded edge; initials in rectangular panel (F reversed); date in pediment.

    Notes: The triangular top is a separate element, in this instance impressed before the lower panel. A variant at Hastings Museum (no. 118) has the letters positioned slightly differently.

    Inscription: 1586 / FM

    Manufactured: in 1586 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.129-1913 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

  8. 774

    va_49.jpg
    495 x 745 mm

    Description: Arched shape with bead edging; from top, large bead with four pairs of small beads in a cross shape, text with pellet surrounded by eight beads on each side of 'G', and at bottom.

    Notes: Made by, and bearing the initials of Eric Gill and his wife, Mary, in 1930.

    Inscription: E&M / G / MCM / XXX

    Manufactured: in 1930 at Loosley Row Foundry possibly in the Chilterns area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.4-1983 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

  9. 991

    waldron,_star inn.jpg
    1060 x 705 mm

    Description: Rectangular with fillet edging (top and sides) formed from separate strips, possible from furniture; date split by letters in triad; number '1' has a central knob.

    Notes: The initials are believed to relate to Thomas and Mary Manser, who occupied the Star Inn, Waldron, East Sussex, in the seventeenth century.

    Inscription: 16 TMM 94

    Manufactured: in 1694 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: The Star Inn, Waldron, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Russell, S., Parker, R. & Chidson, V., 2000, Waldron: Portrait of a Sussex village (Horam, Tartarus Press).

  10. 153

    warnham,_westons place 2.jpg
    760 x 650 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular; gadrooned edging (top and sides); three spondles as stamps - one centre top, and a different one on each side to left and right of arch base - initials and date split either side of top spimdle.

    Notes: The distinctive edging and use of spindles or bobbins is seen on other firebacks; similar initials and date suggest a common source; the initials may relate to John Weston, of Warnham, Sussex (d. 1642). A rectangular fireback of the same date and also with three identical spindles is at Ewhurst Place, Ifield.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I W / 16 32

    Manufactured: in 1632 possibly at Cuckfield Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Warnham, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15.