Firebacks

Date & initials firebacks

160 results

  1. 862

    lenygon_fig_256a.jpg
    ~1200 x ~650 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date between two flower heads; initials in triad, repeated on each side, with two fleurs-de-lys between; flower head below each initial group; small stamp of the figure of a stag below the date.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of a husband (P) and wife (M) whose surname begins N. Illustration from Lenygon, p. 245.

    Inscription: 1689 / PNM PNM [both triads]

    Manufactured: in 1689 possibly in the Shropshire area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Lenygon, F., 1914, Decoration in England (London, Batsford).

  2. 379

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 014.jpg
    1020 x 620 mm

    Description: Rectangular; single moulded edge on top and sides; bold date and initials, formed from large individual characters, on same line across full width of plate; otherwise plain. Side lifting lug on top right.

    Notes: The style of the numerals, particularly the 6 and 5, can be seen on a smaller fireback of 1656. Lifting handles are only seen on a few firebacks. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: 1653 IHA

    Manufactured: in 1653 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.044 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 402

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 036.jpg
    760 x 880 mm

    Description: Rectangular with pediment and frieze resting on fluted Tuscan pilasters; plain podium base; rectangular central panel with double fillet edge divided into four with central panel containing initials; date in tympanum.

    Notes: An early example of the use of classical architectural elements in an English fireback. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [1]568 / ER

    Manufactured: in 1568 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.062 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  4. 440

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 080.jpg
    780 x 695 mm

    Description: Rectangle joined to low arch with cyma recta curves; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); grid of twelve rectangles (4 columns of 3) with twisted rope borders; initials in arch, date in top line of rectangles.

    Notes: A fireback cast specially to mark the 60th anniversary of the Sussex Archaeological Society, and donated to the society by Mr John Every.

    Inscription: S.A.S. / 1926

    Manufactured: in 1926 at Phoenix Foundry, Lewes in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.093 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  5. 447

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 087.jpg
    912 x 568 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; inscription across top of plate, numerals, except '2', larger than letters, 'A' raised above 'I' and 'M'.

    Notes: A late, and rather unsophisticated example of the use of individual stamps.

    Inscription: 17 IAM 32

    Manufactured: in 1732 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.950 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 449

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 089.jpg
    1535 x 860 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto edging; armorial; Stuart English royal arms within a circular garter; crown, motto and supporters (crowned lion and unicorn); initials separated by crown; left rectangular extension panel with double ovolo-moulded edging; top, putto face above initials in triad, with floral patera below; right rectangular extension panel with double ovolo-moulded edging; top, putto face above date, with floral patera below.

    Notes: A widely copied armorial fireback with extension panels of a style associated with other date and initial firebacks; the central fireback measures 1080 x 860mm.

    Inscription: [central fireback] C [R missing] / ..I SOI T.QVI.MAL.Y. ...SE; [left panel] IRM [triad]; [right panel] 1686

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1686 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.951 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 458

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 098b.jpg
    510 x 460 mm

    Description: Fragment; bottom left corner missing; rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; initials split by date across top of plate.

    Notes: The numerals show the transition between archaic and modern type styles. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: S 1753 W

    Manufactured: in 1753 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.922 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  8. 1050

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 111.jpg
    645 x 393 mm

    Description: Rectangular; triple-moulded edging (top and sides); top left, initials RKI in triad; top right, date.

    Notes: The initials probably relate to a husband and wife, the top initial being that of their surname. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: RKI [triad] 1683

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.921 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 946

    lindfield,_woodsland farm 02.jpg
    832 x 500 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); initials in triad to left of date (7 reversed), all between two twisted rope saltires.

    Notes: The distinctive form of the number '5' has been seen on another fireback indicating a common source.

    Inscription: RAE [triad] 1657

    Manufactured: in 1657 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lindfield, West Sussex, England.

  10. 471

    lodsworth,_blackdown house 01.jpg
    1170 x 865 mm

    Description: Rectangular with small central triangle on top; twisted rope edging (top and sides) and across base of triangle; top centre, date, centrally positioned above the separated pairs of initials, WY; below and right of centre, rope saltire; bottom centre, a hole apparently puncturing the plate from behind.

    Notes: The initials are those of William Yalden (1580-1659), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted. The saltire is likely to have had an apotropaic purpose. Although undoubtedly connected with the builder of the house wherein it rests, the fireback pre-dates the building, which was erected in 1640.

    Inscription: 1616 / WY WY

    Manufactured: in 1616 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lodsworth, West Sussex, England.