Firebacks

Livery company firebacks

17 results

  1. 546

    pet-m-101.jpg
    403 x 350 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo edging; shield, helm, crest, mantling and motto of the Merchant Taylors’ Company: Argent a Pavilion Imperial Purple garnished Or lined Ermine between two Mantles also Imperial Purple lined Ermine on a chief Azure a Lion passant guardant Or.

    Notes: Arms were re-granted to the Company in 1586; the excrescences on the helm and shield are probably the result of splashes caused when pouring the iron into the mould from too great a height.

    Inscription: CONCORDIA PARVAE RES CRESCUNT [In Harmony Small Things Grow]

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/101 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 522

    pet-m-76.jpg
    600 x 416 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, helm, crest, supporters, mantling and motto of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers: Sable a chevron ermine between in chief two Havettes Argent and in base a Teazel Cob Or; crest: on a Mount vert a Ram statant Or; supporters: two Griffins Or pellettée.

    Notes: The arms as displayed were granted in 1587; the same fireback was also used as a stamp for a large fireback of 1659 in Haslemere Museum.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Clothworkers

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/76 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 608

    ripley_017.jpg
    600 x 470 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); shield of the Worshipful Company of Masons: Sable, on a chevron, engrailed argent between 3 castles of the second, with doors and windows of the field, a pair of compasses extended of the first; above, the letter ‘C’, the letters ‘H’ and ‘M’ split by the shield.

    Notes: The arms of the Masons’ Company were granted in 1473.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HCM [triad]

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Masons

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.

  4. 1021

    sutton,_greenhill 02b.jpg
    870 x 500 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield mounted on a strap-work cartouche, helm, crest, motto scroll and elaborate swirled mantling.

    Notes: The arms of the Ironmongers' Company; blazon: Argent, on a chevron gules, between three gads of steel azure, three swivels or; crest: two talbots combatant encoupled together or. The true crest of the company has two salamanders (originally 'scaly lizards') rather than talbots, and it has been noted on other firebacks that salamanders are not always represented as amphibians; Samuel Lyne, in his Heraldry Display'd (1741), described the crest as 'two talbots', etc. The motto scroll is blank, indicating that the pattern was an armorial panel with a painted, rather than a carved, motto. A variant of the same fireback has the date 1660 and initials GI (Country Life, 8 March 1946, p. 450; 29 March 1946, p.588.).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Ironmongers

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Sutton, Surrey, England.

  5. 1157

    unknown_25_457_x_533_a.jpg
    457 x 533 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; a shield with the arms of the Grocers' Company on a cartouche, surrounded by four sprays of olive leaves.

    Notes: The blazon of the arms is: Argent, a chev­ron gules between nine cloves six in chief and three in base proper. The arms were granted in 1532. The style of the fireback owes something to the design of French firebacks of the mid-17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Grocers

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in England.

    Current location:.

  6. 43

    watchet,_lynda cotton gallery.jpg
    700 x 542 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo canted top corners; fillet edging; within a cartouche, shield of the Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons - quarterly, first and fourth, Sable a Chevron between three Fleams Argent, second and third, Per pale of the second and Vert on a Spatter also Argent a Tudor Rose proper crowned Or; on a Cross Gules dividing the quarters a Lion passant guardant Or; the date is above the shield, which is surmounted by a vase from which are displayed a flower and leaf stems; the same occupy the spaces on each side of the shield, below which is a motto scroll.

    Notes: The arms on this fireback were granted to the company in 1569.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1631

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons

    Manufactured: in 1631 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 1033

    woolley_and wallis, salisbury 8 jan 2015 lot 44 709x596.jpg
    709 x 596 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; fillet edging with embattled relief inside; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Blacksmiths' Company.

    Notes: Arms of the Blacksmiths' company: Sable, a chevron Or between three hammers Argent and crowned with open crowns of the second; crest: a phoenix in flames rising proper. The arms were granted in 1611. Several different versions of these arms are to be found on firebacks. Woolley and Wallis, Salisbury, auction 8 Jan 2015 lot 44.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.