Firebacks

410mm tall

  1. 1172

    kensal_green,_retrouvius_a.jpg
    720 x 410 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); to each side, two saltires formed of crossed lengths of twisted rope; in between, and repeated seven times, a circular stamp decorated in low relief with a central disc perforated in the centre, surrounded by a circle inside a square looped at each corner, the sides of which are echoed twice on each side; the stamps are arranged in two rows, of three and four, in the upper part of the plate.

    Notes: A boldly cast fireback with an excrescence top centre caused by disturbance of the casting sand by the pouring of the iron.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Retrouvius, 1016 Harrow Rd, Kensal Green, Brent, London, England.

  2. 366

    leicester,_guildhall_02a.jpg
    545 x 410 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal edging; shield motto and crest of the family of Lawrence.

    Notes: Blazon: Ermine, on a cross raguly gules an eastern crown or, on a chief azure two swords in saltire proper pomels and hilts gold between as many leopards' heads argent; crest: out of an eastern crown or, a cubit arm entwined by a wreath of laurel and holding a dagger, all proper. These arms apply to neither the baronetcy nor the two baronies awarded to members of the Lawrence family, the mottoes of which also differ.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: IN GOD IS MY TRUST

    Arms: Lawrence

    Manufactured: in the late 19th to early 20th century in England.

    Current location:, not known.

    Citation: Fox-Davies, A. C., 1929, Armorial Families: A Directory of Gentlemen of Coat-armour (London, Hurst & Blackett).

  3. 443

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 083.jpg
    680 x 410 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; plain plate with two rows of fleurs de lys, eight in the top row, three off set above the other five, and five in a single row along the bottom.

    Notes: The fleurs-de-lys are the same as are seen on firebacks thought to have been cast at Pounsley.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 606

    ripley_015.jpg
    710 x 410 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); seven shields of Ayloffe impaling Sulyard in two rows (3-4); Ayloffe: sable, a lion rampant Or, collared gules, between three crosses formy of the second; Sulyard: argent, a chevron gules between three pheons inverted sable.

    Notes: William Ayloffe (c1535-1584) of Hornchurch, Essex, Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench, married (c1560) Jane, dau. of Sir Eustace Sulyard, of Runwell, Essex.

    Arms: Ayloffe impaling Sulyard (William Ayloffe of Bretons, Hornchurch)

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Cowper, H. S., 1911, 'A Series of Kentish Heraldic Firebacks and the Identification of the Arms', Archaeologia Cantiana, 29, pp. 40-6.

  5. 746

    va_22.jpg
    565 x >410 mm

    Description: Fragment (top part only); arched; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, helm, crown and supporters royal house of Scotland.

    Notes: The arms probably pre-date the union of the kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1603. The arched shape and style of execution suggest a possible continental origin for the design.

    Inscription: IN DEFENS

    Arms: Scotland royal pre 1603

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 891.1901 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)